Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Thailand
Is there a mistake in this online or in-person education essay?
Prompt is "whether online education is better than online one and what your opinion is"

In the modern era, doing online course or receiving classroom education have become a a bit controversial issue. There are those who feel that taking online course is better than receiving classroom education however other believe otherwise. In this essay I will examine both sides of compelling argument and provide my overall opinion.

From an overall perspective, there are two primary reasons why people believe strongly that taking online course is more beneficial than attending a class in person. Perhaps the cogent reason why people are in favour of this notion is because online course saves money. This is because students do not have to pay for travel. For a particular example, a Vietnamese student taking English lesson does not have to travel a long way to UK, which means money saving. A further point in particularly favour of this idea is that students can study anytime. Unlike in the dim and distant past when the Internet was not available, students nowadays can meet their online teachers at midnight.

Despite these strong arguments, there is also a case for the idea that classroom education is better than Internet-based course. Perhaps the sound reason why people are in favour of this idea is that students can sharpen social skills in class. An excellent illustration of this is that a student, who is having argument with other student over a heated issue, learns how to suppress black anger. A further point in greatly favour of this notion is that in classroom education student acquires critical thinking skills. For a typical example, during a debate, students have to formulate solid reasons.

In conclusion, having considered both sides of argument, I would have to say that online course is advantageous for students with limited time availability and geography restrictions and classroom education for social skills development and critical thinking training. If a student could take both online course and classroom education, he would be a well-rounded student.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. One, the prompt doesn't make sense. Two, that post is TDL. (Admittedly, that's somewhat subjective.)

goodboybkk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Thailand
Sorry.
The prompt is "some say that online education is better than in-person one".
What is your opinion?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I found it on the Internet.
You must provide the full source and author every time you quote someone else's writing. Please give us the name of the author, along with a link to the relevant website. This is a legal requirement on the forum.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@goodboybkk My opinion is it depends on how good the teacher is.

goodboybkk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Thailand
You must provide the full source and author every time you quote someone else's writing. Please give us the name of the author, along with a link to the relevant website. This is a legal requirement on the forum.
It was written by several students as a class homework, not a one particular student.
It was posted online at school forum website for internal user only some weeks ago and you need a password to access it.
The English teacher's native language is not English. Therefore, I post it here to get feedback from native English teachers

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the essay too wordy?
You could have posted a paragraph at a time

You might want to read some of Bassim's stories. (They're in this section, I think.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It was written by several students as a class homework, not a by one particular student.
It was posted online at on a school forum website for internal users only some weeks ago and you need a password to access it.
The English teacher's native language is not English. Therefore, so I posted it here to get feedback from native English teachers.
In all honesty, I'm rather uncomfortable with this. If it's an internal website and it's password-protected, I think the contents are probably meant to be confidential. If the students believe their work is being seen only by staff at the school, that belief should be respected.
If the English teacher wants some help, I suggest they join this forum.

For now, I'm going to lock this thread. The moderators will discuss it privately and, if the decision is taken to reopen it, that will happen in due course.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I found the same question at:

and

I'd like the OP to explain why he/she did not tell the truth about the source of the text, and why he/she created a second profile on the forum and posted the same question which they'd asked about in 2018.

goodboybkk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Thailand
I found the same question at:

and

I'd like the OP to explain why he/she did not tell the truth about the source of the text, and why he/she created a second profile on the forum and posted the same question which they'd asked about in 2018.
I asked classmate if he had copied and pasted the essay from somewhere else, and he said so.
I copied and pasted this essay from school internal forum to here.
So, my friend copied and pasted this essay from somewhere else to school's internal forum, then I copied and pasted it again from that forum to here.
In addition, that essay might possibly have been copied and pasted by other students or even other teachers.

Anyway, if you do not want to correct even 1 sentence of the essay, I will be okay.

goodboybkk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Thailand
In all honesty, I'm rather uncomfortable with this. If it's an internal website and it's password-protected, I think the contents are probably meant to be confidential. If the students believe their work is being seen only by staff at the school, that belief should be respected.
If the English teacher wants some help, I suggest they join this forum.

For now, I'm going to lock this thread. The moderators will discuss it privately and, if the decision is taken to reopen it, that will happen in due course.
I do not reckon that it is confidential.
There is no military secret or someone's health condition/ report in this essay.
I do not perfectly understand why you want to discuss it behind the doors. It is just an essay without someone's information or military information.

By the way, if you do not want to improve my english, that is fine for me.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I asked classmate if he had copied and pasted the essay from somewhere else, and he said so.
I copied and pasted this essay from school internal forum to here.
So, my friend copied and pasted this essay from somewhere else to school's internal forum, then I copied and pasted it again from that forum to here.
In addition, that essay might possibly have been copied and pasted by other students or even other teachers.
1- That does not tally with what you said in post #5.
2- Why all this copying of this particular essay? There's something quite suspicious about that in itself!
3- You have not said anything about the double profile issue.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I asked my classmate if he had copied and pasted the essay from somewhere else, and he said so he had. I copied and pasted this essay from school internal forum to here.

Anyway, if you do not want to correct even 1 one sentence of the essay, I will be that's okay.
It appears, then, that there's a definite case of plagiarism going on here. Someone, somewhere along the line, copied the essay and failed to provide the source and author. That's a problem on this forum.
I'm slightly confused by the use of "classmate". Are you a teacher or a learner at the school in question?

I do not reckon that it is confidential. There is no military secret or someone's health condition/report in this essay.
That's irrelevant. My comment about confidentiality was based on your statement that it was taken from a password-protected website.
I do not perfectly entirely understand why you want to discuss it behind the closed doors. It is just an essay without someone's information or military information.
We weren't discussing the essay as such behind closed doors. We were discussing what to do about the plagiarism/confidentiality issue and, in the process, we discovered the issue teechar mentioned at the end of post #16.
By the way, if you do not want to help me improve my English, that is fine for by me.
We are helping you improve your English, by making corrections to your posts. What we're not doing is correcting the essay that you didn't write and we don't know who did.

Status
Not open for further replies.