Lebanon
Current Location
Lebanon
Do we say:

- it has been a while since we met
OR
-it has been a while since we have met?

Last edited:
The first, because 'we have met' refers to the present meeting. For example 'We have met today to discuss the rail strike.'

But a lot of speakers just see one perfect and have a kneejerk reaction that makes them carry on with the perfect willy-nilly. So I expect some users would (wrongly, in my view) regard your second sentence as acceptable. ;-)

b

Last edited:
The first, because 'we have met' refers to the present meeting. For example 'We have met today to discuss the rail strike.'

But a lot of speakers just see one perfect and have a kneejerk reaction that make them carry on with the perfect willy-nilly. So I expect some users would (wrongly, in my view) regard your second sentence as acceptable. ;-)

b

What is a kneejerk?:)

Interesting word. Thank you!

You've probably have noticed that I used it as an adjective qualifying the noun 'reaction' and the American source mentioned in that Wikipedia used it as a noun. I don't think it is (yet!) widely used in Br English as a noun. ;-) (Always pleased to feed a fellow logoholic's craving! [And don't bother looking that up, because - I think - I just made it up.)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back