[Grammar] It is not unusual for Japanese players to succeed in the major leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gupta.rashi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear all,
Could you please help with reasoning why there is difference between them, if there is any. And why they have no difference.
I thank you all in advance for taking time and helping me here!

1. It is not unusual for Japanese players to succeed in the major leagues.
2. It is not unusual that Japanese players succeed in the major leagues.

In the above sentence the text said sentence 1. is correct because here we are using to-infinitive to refer it to future time; and we use that-clause to show reference of present or past time. Here, the Japanese players has not yet won the game, have they? if that makes sense? if anyone could help me with a brief explanation here, please.
Also, we use preposition 'of' or 'for' to indicate the person or thing that adj. relates to. Would you please mind giving me an example?

Thank you once again.

Hope you all have a good day!

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: that-clause and to-infinitive.

Please note that I have changed your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Please ask only one question per thread, with a title unique to each – such as In the Japanese business world, it is customary to exchange the business card.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. is correct because here we are using to-infinitive to refer it to future time; and we use that-clause to show reference of present or past time.
That's all wrong, I'm afraid.

Sentence 1 is perfectly correct and expresses the thought very clearly. The pattern used (unusual for somebody to do something) does not refer to future time but to general time. In other words, it is a general statement about the success of Japanese players, effectively covering past present and future.

The second sentence appears to be in the subjunctive mood, which seems unnecessary.

Before we comment any further, please tell us the name of the text you took these examples from, and the section heading that these examples come under. If we know this information, we may be able to work out what the writer was thinking. Thank you.

gupta.rashi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'm sorry for missing out essential info.
It's a grammar topic from Japanese High school text book.
I will soon find out where did my student get these sentences from and update my posts.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Dear all,[/STRIKE]Unnecessary. Just go straight in with your question.

Could you please help
me [STRIKE]with reasoning[/STRIKE] to work out/to understand why there is a difference between [strike]them[/strike] sentences 1 and 2 below, if there is? [STRIKE]any.[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] If there is no difference, why not? [STRIKE] they have no difference.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]I thank you all in advance for taking time and helping me here![/STRIKE]
Unnecessary. Keep it short!

1. It is not unusual for Japanese players to succeed in the major leagues.
2. It is not unusual that Japanese players succeed in the major leagues.

[STRIKE]In the above sentence[/STRIKE]
The source text said sentence 1 no full stop here is correct because here we are using a to-infinitive to refer [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] to future time, and we use a "that"no hyphen here clause to show reference [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] to a present or past time.

[STRIKE]Here[/STRIKE]
In the context above, the Japanese players [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] have not yet won the game, have they? [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] Does that [STRIKE]makes[/STRIKE] make sense? If anyone could help me with a brief explanation here, [STRIKE]please[/STRIKE] I would be grateful.

Also, we use
the preposition 'of' or 'for' to indicate the person or thing that an adjective relates to. Would you please [STRIKE]mind giving[/STRIKE] give me an example?
[STRIKE]Thank you once again.[/STRIKE]
Unnecessary.

[STRIKE]Hope you all have a good day![/STRIKE]
Unnecessary.

I'm sorry for missing out essential info. It's a grammar topic from a Japanese High school text book.
I will soon find out where [STRIKE]did[/STRIKE] my student [STRIKE]get[/STRIKE] got these sentences from and update my posts.

[STRIKE]Thank you for your time and understanding.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary.

Please note my corrections and comments above. There was a lot of unnecessary text in both posts. There is no need for a greeting or to thank us in advance. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" button on any post you find helpful.

You referred to "my student". Are you an English teacher? If so, you need to update your member profile to reflect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.