Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Is it correct to say that It may turn the road to ice? The context is a discussion of icy conditions on the road.

A guy's Youtube (54:55) channel claims that it is not correct and suggests instead The road may turn icy.
I'm a little bit confused as it is not clear whether it is not correct for both American and British English or just for Americans. In addition, I have checked examples withSentence Stack.The query returned a couple of articles from American newspapers -(like The road was wet while flakes were falling but it did not turn to ice.
The icy conditions could turn parts of Denver roads and highways into black ice)
and similar results from British and Australian resources.

As a statement of fact it is incorrect but it is a common expression that would be understood as such by any native speaker on either side of the Atlantic.

I found only four examples of roads turning into ice in that list of twenty-five.
Here are more sentences, some of which seem to be from American sites/written by Americans. For instance, "The American Economics Association is meeting in Atlanta, where Simon says it is frigid. </s><s> I went to an early-January conference in Atlanta once. </s><s> There was a quarter-inch of snow, the roads turned to ice , and everything closed. </s><s> All flights were canceled, so I and some friends ended up taking the train to Washington, DC, which had gotten two feet of snow, and eventually to New York. </s></p><p><s> Bernanke's speech is largely a defense of the Federal Reserve's monetary "

Fine. i agree with what Peter said in post #2.

Back