It opposes to contemplation a path of action...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trap.jaw.800

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,
While reading the first chapter of the book, The Yoga of Power by Julius Evola, i came across this following passage where the author says -

"Although Tantrism is far from rejecting ancient wisdom, it is characterized by a reaction against a hollow and stereotypical ritualism, mere speculation or contemplation, and any asceticism of a unilateral, mortifying, and penitential nature.
It opposes to contemplation a path of action, of practical realization, and of direct experience. Its password is practice (sadhana, abhyasa)."

Here (If i've understood correctly) the author is trying to say that Tantra is not just meaningless rituals, speculations or contemplations, but rather stresses on yogic practices and also on a direct mystical experience or realization (probably through meditative practices.)

Now, I'm having difficulty in understanding what the author meant in the bold texts above.

Was the grammar correct when the author said- "It opposes to contemplation a path of action..."?

If so, what exactly did the author mean in those bold texts?

A little help would be great.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 20220430_215247.jpg
    20220430_215247.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
For context, the entire passage (indeed the entire book) is about Buddhism, a religion or philospohy that seeks ways to achieve enlightenment or nirvana.

I don't really agree with your interpretation. The passage in bold points out that there are at least two pathways to the goal. The one usually considered is contemplation. The other path is much more active, involving action and experience.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Here (If i've understood correctly) the author is trying to say that Tantra is not just meaningless rituals, speculations or contemplations, but rather stresses on yogic practices and also on a direct mystical experience or realization (probably through meditative practices.)

That's right. The focus is on action rather contemplation.

Was the grammar correct when the author said- "It opposes to contemplation a path of action..."?

Yes. Although the pattern used here ('to oppose something to something') is very unusual, it does make sense.

Read it like this: It puts a path of action in opposition to contemplation.

Trap.jaw.800

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
For context, the entire passage (indeed the entire book) is about Buddhism, a religion or philospohy that seeks ways to achieve enlightenment or nirvana.

I don't really agree with your interpretation. The passage in bold points out that there are at least two pathways to the goal. The one usually considered is contemplation. The other path is much more active, involving action and experience.

So which of these two paths, does Tantra prescribes to its followers in your opinion?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
So which of these two paths, does Tantra prescribes to its followers in your opinion?

The passage does not indicate a preference for one or the other. By the way, I should have corrected a small error in your English. Which of the two does Tantra prescribe, not prescribes.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The phrase meaningless rituals is highly suspect to me, and I have lived in different Buddhist systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.