It rained / was raining for eight hours. (The past simple / The past continuous)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Bob: I don't understand these instructions. Would you help me?
Rob: Sure!

Bob: I can't understand these instructions. Would you put this thing together for me?
Rob: Let me see the instructions. Oh, they're in French. Can you read French?
Bob: No.
Rob: Well, no wonder you can't understand them.

bigC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Philippines
1. Both are possible.
2. Both are wrong. The past simple doesn't work because "They built" is a single finished action. It can't last for five years. The other choice is wrong because "They was building" is incorrect. "They were building ..." is possible.
3. Both are possible.
Can "built" be used to refer to the comple building activity, i.e. from the first day the activity started up to day the activity finished.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can "built" be used to refer to the comple building activity, i.e. from the first day the activity started up to day the activity finished.
Yes, but not with a timeframe, as we've repeatedly said.

I built my own house. ✅ (I was the person doing the construction work from the first day of activity to the day it was finished.)
I built my own house. It took me five years. ✅ (I was the person doing the construction work from the first day of activity to the day it was finished. The house was finished five years after I started.)
I built my own house for five years. ❌

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can "built" be used to refer to the complete building activity, i.e. from the first day the activity started up to day the activity finished?
I built it. - It's finished.
I'm building it. - It's a work in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.