Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would you please correct the mistakes in this short text, which I wrote as an exercise.

Joan came across Ann, who had a black eye.
"What happened?"
"I accidentally knocked against a window handle in darkness.," Ann replied, blushing.
Joan nodded approvingly but knew her friend was lying again. This was the fifth time she saw her injured, and Ann always gave her made-up stories to hide the abuse she had suffered at the hands of her boyfriend, Robert. She felt a wave of rage swelling inside her. She hated men like Robert, people with well-paid jobs and brilliant careers, who behind a charming facade were psychopaths and abusers.
"Why do you protect him?" Joan said.
"Who?"
"You know who I'm talking about. He's going to kill you one day. I know his type."
"I don't understand what are you talking about?"
"If Robert did it to me just once what he is doing to you all the time, he'll be dead on the spot," Joan said, punching the air with her fist.
"But what should I do?" Ann asked.
"Leave woman, before it's too late. What use of your diamond rings are you going to have when you lie in a coffin?"

EnglishArrow

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Colombia
Would you please correct the mistakes in this short text, which I wrote as an exercise.

Joan came across Ann, who had a black eye.
"What happened?"
"I accidentally knocked against a window handle in the dark," Ann replied, blushing.
Joan nodded approvingly* but knew her friend was lying again. This was the fifth time she saw her injured, and Ann always gave her made-up stories to hide the abuse she [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] suffered at the hands of her boyfriend, Robert. She felt a wave of rage swelling up inside her. She hated men like Robert;** people with well-paid jobs and brilliant careers, who, behind a charming facade, were psychopaths and abusers.
"Why do you protect him?" Joan said.
"Who?"
"You know who I'm talking about. He's going to kill you one day. I know his type."
"I don't understand what you're talking about."
"If Robert did [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] to me just once what he does to you all the time, he'd*** be dead on the spot," Joan said, punching the air with her fist.
"But what should I do?" Ann asked.
"Leave, woman! Before it's too late. What use of your diamond rings are you going to have when you lie in a coffin?****"

*The use of "approvingly" here is not really appropriate. This means she approves of her actions, in this case "knocking against a window handle." Instead try: "nodded in understanding" or "Joan nodded, but knew..."

**more info on semicolons: https://writing.wisc.edu/handbook/grammarpunct/semicolons/

***In this case short for "he would"

****This question is grammatically fine, but to sound more natural I recommend: "What use are your diamond rings if you are lying in a coffin?"

Hope this is helpful! Keep up the good work.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suggest:

Ann nodded, but she knew her friend was lying. It was the fifth time she had seen her friend with an injury....

Status
Not open for further replies.