Justice Lee, explaining why he decided not to hang Wang, said that 'the only evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The following is from a local newspaper.

Justice Lee, explaining why he decided not to hang Wang, said that 'the only evidence' prosecutors had produced in asking for the death penalty earlier to deter others was this 'single incident of murder in the past five years."

Is 'hang' OK in the sentence? Thanks.

The following is from a local newspaper.

Justice Lee, explaining why he decided not to hang Wang, said that 'the only evidence' prosecutors had produced in asking for the death penalty earlier to deter others was this 'single incident of murder in the past five years."

Yes, it is part of the infinitive "to hang".

I'd be surprised if that was the word the judge used, but it's OK in a newspaper. What sort of paper is it? The British tabloids are more likely to use the phrase than the more serious papers.

What word will the judges use instead of "hang"? I only know this one.

Impose the death penalty
Sentence to capital punishment

But if the judge doesn't say 'hang", how can people know the execution is hanging rather than electrocution, shooting or injection?

When sentencing someone, the judge may condemn the person to be hanged by the neck until dead, but when talking to a journalist about a decision, they are likely to be more nuanced and concerned with the issues of law and not the method of execution.

I'd be surprised if that was the word the judge used, but it's OK in a newspaper. What sort of paper is it? The British tabloids are more likely to use the phrase than the more serious papers.
Thanks, Tdol.

It is written by a non-native. To me, the sentence sounds odd too.

"Execute" is one.
Thanks, Mike.

Justice Lee, explaining why he decided not to execute Wang, said that 'the only evidence' prosecutors had produced in asking for the death penalty earlier to deter others was this 'single incident of murder in the past five years.'

I may be wrong, but using "execute" makes it appear that Justice Lee himself would perform the execution.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike.

Justice Lee, explaining why he decided not toexecute Wang, said that 'the only evidence' prosecutors had produced in asking for the death penalty earlier to deter others was this 'single incident of murder in the past five years.'

I may be wrong, but using "execute" makes it appear that Justice Lee himself would perform the execution.

No. Just as he wouldn't hang him personally. What country was this in?

Could a moderator please respond to my post? Thanks.

Somebody has 'rated' this thread. This is a facility that few members use, or even know about. Immediately above the first post, towards the right of the page, you'll see a 'Rate this Thread' place to click.

Last edited by a moderator:
Presumably, someone found the discussion interesting and rated it highly. Not many people use the Rating facility- I don't use it much at all. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back