Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Can I use "directions" instead of "fields"? Should I use "lack" or "the lack"? And "nature" instead of "character "? It's about the problems we are currently facing here.

Because most young people choose to study IT or choose psychology we are facing the lack of jobs and high competition in these areas while medicine, agriculture and and similar directions/fields aren't developing. The future of remaining people living here is without confidence in tomorrow. (I mean people aren't sure what tomorrow brings) Another big problem is a Georgian nature and mentality. (I mean many people believe people should change their attitude and mindset.)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Because most a large/significant number of young people choose to study IT or choose psychology, we are facing the a lack of jobs and high competition in these areas
There isn't a direct correlation between the high number of people who choose a particular field and the lack of jobs in that field. Therefore, I suggest you modify it to:
Because a large number of young people (in Georgia) choose to study IT or psychology, there is intense competition for the limited number of jobs in those fields.
while medicine, agriculture and and similar directions/ other areas/disciplines/fields aren't developing.
What do you mean by "aren't developing"?
The future of remaining people living here is without confidence in tomorrow. (I mean people aren't sure what tomorrow brings) Another big problem is a Georgian nature and mentality. (I mean many people believe people should change their attitude and mindset.)
That part is not well thought out. How does it connect to the above? I suggest you redo it.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
There isn't a direct correlation between the high number of people who choose a particular field and the lack of jobs in that field. Therefore, I suggest you modify it to:
Because a large number of young people (in Georgia) choose to study IT or psychology, there is intense competition for the limited number of jobs in those fields.

What do you mean by "aren't developing"?
I mean they aren't improving. The teaching of the discipline is still the same. These disciplines haven't changed or improved. Would "develop" make sense to mean that?

That part is not well thought out. How does it connect to the above? I suggest you redo it.
I mean it's often the people who are to blame. Maybe it doesn't make sense to someone who doesn't know Georgia, but if you told that part I wrote to someone who lives here they wouldn't be surprised. Knowing the situation, that what I wrote is true, is it grammatically correct and idiomatic?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"Because a large number of young people (in Georgia) choose to study IT or psychology, there is intense competition for the limited number of jobs in those fields. At the same time, medicine, agricultural science and other areas of study are falling behind. People here (in Georgia) are not optimistic about the future. Many point out that we, Georgians, need to change our attitude and mindset".
Try that.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
"Because a large number of young people (in Georgia) choose to study IT or psychology, there is intense competition for the limited number of jobs in those fields. At the same time, medicine, agricultural science and other areas of study are falling behind. People here (in Georgia) are not optimistic about the future. Many point out that we, Georgians, need to change our attitude and mindset".
Try that.
Is "nature" ever used to refer to a person's character? I mean would it be possible in other examples? For example, "what makes this nation unique is their nature/ character."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, but I don't think "nature" works there. Perhaps:

What makes this nation unique is its character.

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Yes, but I don't think "nature" works there. Perhaps:

What makes this nation unique is it's character.
And native speakers don't say "high competition" instead of intense or strong. Or is "strong" also not idiomatic?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My phone "corrects" the text, and I don't always catch it.
🫤

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My phone "corrects" the text, and I don't always catch it.
🫤
You can turn off auto-correct. Many people do because they get fed up with having to check the corrections!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can turn off auto-correct. Many people do because they get fed up with having to check the corrections!
That's easy for you to say. 😀

I didn't turn it on in the first place. 😀

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's easy for you to say. 😀

I didn't turn it on in the first place. 😀
Phones usually come with auto-correct on as the default setting. Finding the instructions to turn it off is easy enough to Google.