Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Source: "Markov Chain Monte Carlo in Practice" by W.R. Gilks, S. Richardson and D.J. Spiegelhalter.

Deciding when to stop the chain is an important practical matter. The aim is to run the chain long enough to obtain adequate precision in the estimator F in (1.2). Estimation of the variance of F (called the Monte Carlo variance) is complicated by the lack of independence in the iterates {Xt}.

The definite article "the" in bold isn't included in the original. I wonder if the sentence would be correct with it included.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Correct in what sense? Grammatically? Surely it would be better to ask why the zero article is used there. We use articles, or don't use them, for a reason.

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Why is the zero article used there? What nuance does the definite article add to the meaning in this case (if it makes sense to use it at all)?

I considered including it because to me it seemed like a specific lack of independence, i.e. the lack of independence in the iterates {Xt}.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Why is the zero article used there? What nuance does the definite article add to the meaning in this case (if it makes sense to use it at all)?

Definite articles don't add nuance, they make specific reference.

I considered including it because to me it seemed like a specific lack of independence, i.e. the lack of independence in the iterates {Xt}.

Well, adding an article there, whether definite or indefinite, may be appropriate to this context. The definite article would be appropriate if, for example, the lack of independence had been previously mentioned.

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Is the use of the indefinite article "a" possible there instead of the zero article?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, possibly. But you shouldn't ask what's 'possible'. Just focus on what is actually used, since that's what the writer means.

Honestly, it's hard enough to understand the passage as it is, let alone without seeing the wider context.

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
John provides Peter with three trucks out of the ten available and tasks him with delivering some cargo from a warehouse in place X to one in place Y. He tells Peter that all of the cargo needs to be delivered there by tomorrow. Peter starts carrying out the task. Halfway through the process, however, he realizes that the task may not be accomplished as promised unless more trucks are provided, so he calls John and says to him:

Hi, John! Due to the inclement weather, meeting the deadline is complicated by [lack]/[a lack]/[the lack] of the trucks available. I need two more trucks to be 100% sure to deliver the cargo on time.

Which of the options would be acceptable in this new example?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
John provides Peter with three trucks out of the ten available and tasks him with delivering some cargo from a warehouse in place X to one in place Y. He tells Peter that all of the cargo needs to be delivered there by tomorrow. Peter starts carrying out the task. Halfway through the process, however, he realizes that the task may not be accomplished as promised unless more trucks are provided, so he calls John and says to him:
Where did you find the text above?