Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

What does the "lest" the plan become known.

There was danger lest the plan become known.

According to the definiton, it means "that", but what does the sentence mean when "lest" means "that" in the sentence?

May I have your help?

***** I am not a teacher *****

There was danger if the plan became known. "Lest," though, can add an element of danger or higher risk than "if." But in other cases, "if" could not be used as a synonym of "lest."

As well, my computer dictionary terms "lest" as being formal.

Last edited:
Hi,

What does the "lest" the plan become known.

There was danger lest the plan become known.

According to the definiton, it means "that", but what does the sentence mean when "lest" means "that" in the sentence?

May I have your help?

This sentence is logically incoherent to me as there is no contingency relation, which is concomitant of sentences containing negative purpose clauses introduced by the archaic linker "lest", between there being a danger and the plan's coming out in the open.

Thanks a lot for coming here.

Here is the quote from OED:

Used after verbs of fearing, or phrases indicating apprehension or danger, to introduce a clause expressing the event that is feared; equivalent to the L. nē, and in Eng. often admitting of being replaced by that (without accompanying negative).

And here is the source of this sentence:

And I just don't know how to comprehend "lest" in the sentence, but Slot's idea seems fine to me.

And I just don't know how to comprehend "lest" in the sentence, but Slot's idea seems fine to me.
Thanks, I didn't know this meaning of "lest" either.

I don't agree with Slot's idea unless they use "if" in a meaning that I don't understand. I think the original sentence means:

There was a danger of the plan's becoming known.

We must get back up the beach now lest the tide catches us.

Thanks a lot for coming here.

Here is the quote from OED:

Used after verbs of fearing, or phrases indicating apprehension or danger, to introduce a clause expressing the event that is feared; equivalent to the L. nē, and in Eng. often admitting of being replaced by that (without accompanying negative).

And here is the source of this sentence:

But do note that it is given as Old English.

But do note that it is given as Old English.

Thanks a lot, but can you tell me where did the dictionary note it as "Old English", if so, I will strike it out of my notebook.

Thanks a lot

"Lest" remains somewhat current in Canada and the Commonwealth. Each November 11 it is heard in the phrase "Lest we forget," in remembrance of those killed in the two world wars.

This Google search illustrates the still-current usage of "lest" in Canada.

Thanks a lot, but can you tell me where did the dictionary note it as "Old English", if so, I will strike it out of my notebook.

Thanks a lot

The SOED does. I don't have the OED to hand.

The SOED does. I don't have the OED to hand.
The full OED (which I happen to have to hand ;-)) notes an Old English form of it, but does not label the word itself 'Old English' , 'archaic'. or 'obsolete', though it does label lest that 'obsolete'. The Concise Oxford Dictionary uses no label in its entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back