[Essay] Letter of Motivation ( Can somebody please advise me on this? )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Dear Sir or Madam

I appreciate this opportunity to provide further background information in support of my application for admission to the Master's degree in: Cultural Anthropology: Sociocultural Transformation (research) program at the University of Utrecht for the 2016 autumn term.

As a daughter of deeply devotes Indian parents and having grown up in a traditional Indian family, the beautiful colour and significance of the bangles has always fascinated me. This interest later grows in passion when I presented a paper during my Masters course in Museology, on ‘Documentation of Indian Bangles’. I realised that bangles are worn not as an ornament, rather it culturally represents martial status, affluence, community and even seasons based on the colour, material, design or number of bangles worn. It has later become my dream to open a museum dedicated to bangles. Pursuing a course of Masters in Cultural Anthropology in Utrecht University is a great step towards realisation of my dream.

I have visited the community of bangle makers in the Indian town of Firozabad, which is famous for producing delicate and beautiful glass bangles. I have witnessed first-hand the hardships, socioeconomic conditions of bangle makers and how strongly traditions and cultural norms influenced the art of bangle making. I also learned that a gold mine of information about bangles can be gleaned from folk songs and stories. I strongly believe that Utrecht University, with their emphasis on the relationship between cultural diversity and power, is not only the best university in the Netherlands but one among best in the world in providing a conducive environment for research in Cultural Anthropology.

While pursuing my Bachelors of Arts in Sociology and Psychology, I have studied statical analysis and developed a sociocultural perspective. During my Master of Arts in Museum Studies, I further gained an insight on traditions, cultures and social behaviours and also learned ethnographic research methods. In your esteemed university, I would like to apply my existing knowledge while simultaneously striving to gain knowledge on ethnicity, religion, power, globalisation, etc. and also continuing to do field work to complete my research.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Dear Sir or Madam

I appreciate this opportunity to provide further background information in support of my application for admission to the Master's degree in: Cultural Anthropology: Sociocultural Transformation (research) program at the University of Utrecht for the 2016 autumn term.

As a daughter of deeply [STRIKE]devotes[/STRIKE] devoted Indian parents and having grown up in a traditional Indian family, the beautiful colour and significance of the bangles [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] have always fascinated me. This interest later [STRIKE]grows in[/STRIKE] grew into a passion when I presented a paper during my Masters course in Museology, on ‘Documentation of Indian Bangles’. I realised that bangles are worn not just as an ornament, rather it culturally represents martial status, affluence, community and even the seasons based on the colour, material, design or number of bangles worn. It has later become my dream to open a museum dedicated to bangles. Pursuing a course of Masters in Cultural Anthropology in Utrecht University is a great step towards realisation of my dream.

I have visited the community of bangle makers in the Indian town of Firozabad, which is famous for producing delicate and beautiful glass bangles. I have witnessed first-hand the hardships, socioeconomic conditions of bangle makers and how strongly traditions and cultural norms influenced the art of bangle making. I also learned that a gold mine of information about bangles can be gleaned from folk songs and stories. I strongly believe that Utrecht University, with their emphasis on the relationship between cultural diversity and power, is not only the best university in the Netherlands but one [STRIKE]among[/STRIKE] of the best in the world in providing a conducive environment for research in Cultural Anthropology.

While pursuing my Bachelors of Arts in Sociology and Psychology, I have studied [STRIKE]statical[/STRIKE] statistical analysis and developed a socio-cultural perspective. During my Master of Arts in Museum studies, I further gained an insight [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] into traditions, cultures and social behaviours and also learned ethnographic research methods. In your esteemed university, I would like to apply my existing knowledge while simultaneously striving to gain knowledge on ethnicity, religion, power, globalisation, etc. and[STRIKE] also[/STRIKE] continuing to do field work to complete my research.

Jan11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Hi Tedmc,

many thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Jan11, please note that there is no reason to write a new post to say "Thank you" to anyone. Each post has a Thank button and a Like button in the bottom left-hand corner. Simply click on one of them (or both) to indicate that the post was helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.