Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

Let's say people are trying to make you understand something. You don't know what is going for a while but after a while realize it.

Can I use "light bulb" in this situation?

Are these examples correct and natural?

1. I was at a teacher parents conference. They kept saying there is a trouble maker at school and some of them looked at me. I had no idea who they were talking about until they talked about a specific incident. A light bulb went off in my head and I realized they meant my son, Dylan, is the trouble maker.

2. They went out for dinner. She kept saying that they have differing views and after a while a light bulb went off in his head that she wanted to dump him.

I sort of used the idiom the way "penny dropped" is used.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I tend to use "I had a light bulb moment".

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I tend to use "I had a light bulb moment".

Are my examples not okay?

Are these okay and natural?

1. I was at a teacher parents conference. They kept saying there is a trouble maker at school and some of them looked at me. I had no idea who they were talking about until they talked about a specific incident. I had a light bulb moment and I realized they meant my son, Dylan, is the trouble maker.

2. They went out for dinner. She kept saying that they have differing views and after a while he had a light bulb momentthat she wanted to dump him.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a parent-teacher conference in American English. The hyphen is required.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

Let's say people are trying to make you understand something. You don't know what is going for a while but after a while realize it.

Can I use "light bulb" in this situation?

Are these examples correct and natural?

1. I was at a teacher parents conference. They kept saying there is a trouble maker at school and some of them looked at me. I had no idea who they were talking about until they talked about a specific incident. A light bulb went off in my head and I realized they meant my son, Dylan, is the trouble maker.

2. They went out for dinner. She kept saying that they have differing views and after a while a light bulb went off in his head that she wanted to dump him.

I sort of used the idiom the way "penny dropped" is used.

Your examples look good to me. (American English)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a lightbulb went on.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe it has different variations?
I suppose.

But I've never heard anyone use it that way, and one makes sense, and one doesn't. If you turn the bulb off, the room gets dark, right? When a lightbulb goes on, the room lights up.

This is why I don't write dictionaries. It's like the word literally. My dictionary says it can mean figuratively. But I don't use it that way, because it wouldn't make sense.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can say The lights went on.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suppose.

But I've never heard anyone use it that way, and one makes sense, and one doesn't. If you turn the bulb off, the room gets dark, right? When a lightbulb goes on, the room lights up.

I've heard and used it with 'off'. It makes perfect sense if you think of the phrasal verb 'go off' - i.e. a sudden flash of inspiration, akin to photography flashes.

You're thinking of it as a light being permanently on vs. a flash of light.

Last edited:

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I've heard and used it with 'off'. It makes perfect sense if you think of the phrasal verb 'go off' - i.e. a sudden flash of inspiration, akin to photography flashes.

You're thinking of it as a light being permanently on vs. a flash of light.

Do you think these examples are correct and natural?

1. I was at a parent-teacher conference. They kept saying there is a trouble maker at school and some of them looked at me. I had no idea who they were talking about until they talked about a specific incident. A light bulb went off in my head and I realized they meant my son, Dylan, is the trouble maker.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Like Charlie Bernstein, I find it quite odd that anybody would say a light bulb 'went off'.

I'd suggest you use came on, or better: lit up.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you think these examples are correct and natural?

1. I was at a parent-teacher conference. They kept saying there is a trouble maker at school and some of them looked at me. I had no idea who they were talking about until they talked about a specific incident. A light bulb went on in my head and I realized they meant my son, Dylan, is the trouble maker.

2. They went out for dinner. She kept saying that they have differing views and after a while a light bulb went
on in his head that she wanted to dump him.
If you say off, it sounds like you fainted.

Jutfrank has some good suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.