Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Which would be the right choice of word for this kind of food "made with," "made of," "made from," "made out of"?

"Manty is made of dough and minced meat."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not a very natural way to describe the dish, but all the prepositions are possible. "With" and "from" are the least unnatural choices to me.

I like the way this Wikipedia article describes it: "The dumplings typically consist of a spiced meat mixture, usually lamb or ground beef, in a thin dough wrapper and either boiled or steamed."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There have been multiple threads on "made of/from/out of" etc. Use the Advanced Search facility to find them.

Last edited:

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would be inclined to use "made with".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
There have been multiple threads on "made of/from/out of" etc. Use the Advanced Search facility to find them.

I will. Thanks. But do they apply to the food I am asking about? There have been discussions about wood, plastic and other materials in those threads. If "from" is used when we talk about how something is manufactured, does "from" also apply to food?
Is the same idea maintained?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm sure I remember threads on the same topic that involved food.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my apartment cocoa is made with cocoa mix and water.

:)

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

I did some research on this forum and the internet. "Made with" hasn't been mentioned in threads on UE. Based on what I have read in different posts and articles can I say that when we speak about food it is better to use "with"?
This is one of the articles I came across on the internet.
made from, made of, made with

https://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/t...ng&lettr=indx_catlog_m&page=98P2R7-kYRnw.html

I also read on this forum that the easiest way to remember the difference is the production type. "Made from" how something is manufactured and converted to other products and "made of" doesn't express this idea. There was an example, "Bread is made from four." And "Shoes are made of leather." Only "from" works with bread. With "manty" as I understand either work because "from" shows how it is made and "of" shows what it consists of. "Made up of" is another option.
I would be very grateful if a native speaker confirmed that it's correct.

I am trying to remove the screenshot. I typed the information from it, but I can't remove it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210127_095733.jpg
    IMG_20210127_095733.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Whilst "Bread is made from flour" is grammatical, it's not a sentence I would use. Bread involves more than just one ingredient and I would go for "made of" and a list of ingredients (for specific breads).

Brown bread is made of wholemeal flour, water, yeast and sea salt.
White soda bread is made of white flour, sea salt, bicarb (bicarbonate of soda) and buttermilk.

As far as the sentence about shoes goes, I'd be equally happy with "Some shoes are made of leather" and "Some shoes are made from leather" - the former is probably more common in BrE.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Made with" hasn't been mentioned in threads on UE.

Well, I participated in at least one of them. (I was still RonBee back then.)

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Whilst "Bread is made from flour" is grammatical, it's not a sentence I would use. Bread involves more than just one ingredient and I would go for "made of" and a list of ingredients (for specific breads).

Brown bread is made of wholemeal flour, water, yeast and sea salt.
White soda bread is made of white flour, sea salt, bicarb (bicarbonate of soda) and buttermilk.

As far as the sentence about shoes goes, I'd be equally happy with "Some shoes are made of leather" and "Some shoes are made from leather" - the former is probably more common in BrE.

Thus despite some obvious rules according to which "made from" is used to refer to how something is manufactured and as one of the members of UE said is also used to refer to individual components and while "made of" is used to refer to the material with which something is manufactured, native speakers still use them interchangeably. Is that right?
"Brown bread is made out of wholemeal flour, water, yeast and sea salt" or "is made up of" are probably not impossible either, are they?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What's important is that you say what you mean.

Sometimes two or more of them are pretty much interchangeable. It depends.

Status
Not open for further replies.