Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Simon Renard, Spain’s resident ambassador, expressed the difficulty of selling the marriage of Mary and Philip to a deeply divided country, with many English men and women fearing they were ‘going to be enslaved, for the queen is a Spanish woman at heart and thinks nothing of Englishmen, but only of Spaniards and bishops. Her idea, they say, is to have the King crowned by force and deprive the Lady Elizabeth of her right, making the operation of the law sub‑ ject to her own will.’ (Jerry Brotton, This Orient Isle- Elizabethan England and the Islamic World)

I couldn't figure the emphasized clause out, can you help me?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It means "making the law work according to her own will".
Some context, eg. the approximate year would be good. It sounds like the phrase relates to the queen - the queen would control the law. But, if it's Elizabethan England, that would be case anyway.

Deniz Olunmalı

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
It means "making the law work according to her own will".
Some context, eg. the approximate year would be good. It sounds like the phrase relates to the queen - the queen would control the law. But, if it's Elizabethan England, that would be case anyway.

I'm sorry, Raymott, you're right, the date is June 1554.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In your title, you wrote "sub- ject". Are you aware that there is a hyphen in the word "subject" in the main text only because it is split across two lines of text? Your title should have used the normal word "subject".

Status
Not open for further replies.