Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Hello.

Which of the two sentences is correct?

1-Messi won fifteen international trophies, awarding the best Play in the word five times.

2-Messi won fifteen international trophies, awarded the best Play in the word five times.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1 is definitely wrong. It suggests he awarded the
Hello. Unnecessary. Just go ahead with your question.

Which of the two sentences is correct?

1-Messi won fifteen international trophies, awarding the best Play in the word five times. ❌

2-Messi won fifteen international trophies, and was awarded voted the Best Player in the World five times.
See above. With my corrections, sentence 2 is OK. Sentence 1 suggests that Messi awarded that trophy to someone else five times.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Neither. Try again.

First, click here to get your facts right.

There is no award called 'best Play in the word' (or even 'Best Player in the World'). It's called UEFA Men's Best Player of the Year Award.

(cross-posted)

Last edited:

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
1 is definitely wrong. It suggests he awarded the

See above. With my corrections, sentence 2 is OK. Sentence 1 suggests that Messi awarded that trophy to someone else five times.
Thank you.

Is it possible to omit "and was" and the sentence will be

Messi won fifteen international trophies, voted the Best Player in the World five times.

Is this called past participle?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As a biographical sentence, and since he's still alive, you need the present perfect:

Messi has won fifteen international trophies and has been voted the best player in the world five times.

(What's the 'Best Player in the World' award? Messi has won the Ballon d'Or seven times.)

Is this called past participle?

The verb voted in that sentence is a past participle, yes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it possible to omit "and was" and the sentence will be to produce the sentence "Messi won fifteen international trophies, voted the Best Player in the World five times"?

Is this called a past participle?

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
As a biographical sentence, and since he's still alive, you need the present perfect:

Messi has won fifteen international trophies and has been voted the best player in the world five times.

(What's the 'Best Player in the World' award? Messi has won the Ballon d'Or seven times.)

The verb voted in that sentence is a past participle, yes.

Thank you for your response teacher.

Last question if you don't mind, which tenses co-occur with using past participle and present participle?

1-Messi has won fifteen international trophies, voted the best player in the world five times. Present perfect

2-Van Dijk banned an additional match, fined £100,000 for improper manner following his red card at Newcastle. Simple past ( I don't use the verb was)

3-Van Dijk was banned an additional match, fined £100,000 for improper manner following his red card at Newcastle. (Simple past, I used was)

4.Armin van Buuren is 46-year Dutch DJ, hosted A state of Trance, a weekly radio show, is broadcasting to nearly 40 million listeners in 84 countries on over 100 FM radio stations.( Present simple)

5-Armin van Buuren is 46-year Dutch DJ, hosted A state of Trance, a weekly radio show, broadcasting to nearly 40 million listeners in 84 countries on over 100 FM radio stations.(Present simple)

I am really struggling with these sentences. I don't if the first three sentences are correct with past participle and the last two are correct with present participle.

Thank you all teachers for helping me and for your contribution.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your response. teacher.

I have one last question, if you don't mind. Which tenses can co-occur in the same sentence, with using the past participle and the present participle?

1. Messi has won fifteen international trophies, and has been voted the best player in the world five times. Present perfect

2. Van Dijk was banned for an additional match, and [was] fined £100,000 for improper manner* following his red card at Newcastle. Simple past (I don't didn't use the verb "was".) *There is no such offence as "improper manner".

3. Van Dijk was banned for an additional match, and [was] fined £100,000 for improper manner* following his red card at Newcastle. Simple past (I used "was".) *There is no such offence as "improper manner".

4. Armin van Buuren is a 46-year-old Dutch DJ no comma here who hosted A State of Trance, a weekly radio show, which is broadcasting broadcast to nearly 40 million listeners in 84 countries on over 100 FM radio stations. (Present simple)

5. Armin van Buuren is a 46-year-old Dutch DJ no comma here who hosted A State of Trance, a weekly radio show, broadcasting broadcast to nearly 40 million listeners in 84 countries on over 100 FM radio stations. (Present simple)

I am really struggling with these sentences. I don't know if the first three sentences are correct with the past participle and if the last two are correct with the present participle.

Thank you all teachers for helping me and for your contributions.
Please look very carefully at all my corrections above. One of the biggest problems with your written English at the moment is inconsistency. For example, you started sentences 1, 2, 3 and 5 with a number followed by a dash with no space on either side. You started sentence 4 with a number followed by a full stop and no space before the first letter of the sentence. You need to work on your capitalisation too. In the penultimate paragraph, you omitted a very important word - "know".

I have made all five of your sentences grammatically correct. I'm not 100% clear what you're confused about but you can at least see the correct versions above.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I suspect that you're asking something about using participle clauses, and this is what prompted you to write the sentences in your original post.

Look at the following example:

Messi displayed another outstanding performance, scoring twice in the opening fifteen minutes.

In the sentence above, the red part is a participle clause. The verb scoring is a present participle. The sentence is a splice of two simpler sentences:

a) Messi displayed another outstanding performance.
b) Messi scored twice in the opening fifteen minutes.

Note the logical relation between the two sentences.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Please look very carefully at all my corrections above. One of the biggest problems with your written English at the moment is inconsistency. For example, you started sentences 1, 2, 3 and 5 with a number followed by a dash with no space on either side. You started sentence 4 with a number followed by a full stop and no space before the first letter of the sentence. You need to work on your capitalisation too. In the penultimate paragraph, you omitted a very important word - "know".

I have made all five of your sentences grammatically correct. I'm not 100% clear what you're confused about but you can at least see the correct versions above.

I am confused between using past participle and present participle
Thank you for your correction.

In your sentence 2 and 3, Are (was) optional in the second clauses?

Is it possible to use (was) in the second clauses and omit them in the first clauses? For examples:

1. Van Dijk banned for an additional match, and was fined £100,000 for improper manner following his red card at Newcastle.

2. Van Dijk banned for an additional match, and was fined £100,000 for improper manner following his red card at Newcastle.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I suspect that you're asking something about using participle clauses, and this is what prompted you to write the sentences in your original post.

Look at the following example:

Messi displayed another outstanding performance, scoring twice in the opening fifteen minutes.

In the sentence above, the red part is a participle clause. The verb scoring is a present participle. The sentence is a splice of two simpler sentences:

a) Messi displayed another outstanding performance.
b) Messi scored twice in the opening fifteen minutes.

Note the logical relation between the two sentences.

Yes. I am familiar with using gerund in the beginning of the sentence, after preposition, and after be verbs. I struggle with using the ing form in the middle of the sentence to connect two sentences.

In your example you connected simple past with present participle. Is this sentence correct ?

Ronaldo had an interview with an Egyptian channel, speaking out about his relationship with his girlfriend Georgina Rodriguez.

Thank you so much for your contribution.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In your example you connected simple past with present participle. Is this sentence correct ?

Ronaldo had an interview with an Egyptian channel, speaking out about his relationship with his girlfriend Georgina Rodriguez.

Yes. Very good. Well done.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In your sentences 2 and 3, Are does "[was]" mean the word is optional in the second clauses?

Is it possible to use "was" in the second clauses and omit them it in the first clauses? For examples example:

1. Van Dijk banned for an additional match, and was fined £100,000 for improper manner following his red card at Newcastle. ❌
2. Van Dijk banned for an additional match, and was fined £100,000 for improper manner following his red card at Newcastle. ❌
No. If the first "was" had been optional, I would have written it the same way I wrote the second. The only grammatical form of the opening clause (in this context) is "Van Dijk was banned for an additional match".