Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I tried to figure out but I couldnt find it. what are the differences, if any, among the following three sentences?

1 Most Americans spend the holiday, drinking and dining with friends.
2 Most Americans spend the holiday drinking and dining with friends.
3 Most Americans spend the holiday by drinking and dining with friends.

source: The USA Customs and Institutions by Ethel Tiersky and Martin Tiersky

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, volcanoman.

Where did you find these sentences? It is a requirement of the forum that you tell us the source of any text you quote.

Did the writer really fail to end them all with a closing punctuation mark?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have tried to figure out the answer but I couldn't find do it. What are the differences, if any, among the following three sentences?

volcanoman

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Welcome to the forum, volcanoman.

Where did you find these sentences? It is a requirement of the forum that you tell us the source of any text you quote.

Did the writer really fail to end them all with a closing punctuation mark?
source: The USA Customs and Institutions by Ethel Tiersky and Martin Tiersky

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You've written three sentences but only one of those three (2) is the original sentence. Both of your made up sentences are incorrect.

volcanoman

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
You've written three sentences but only one of those three (2) is the original sentence. Both of your made up sentences are incorrect.
No, all the sentences are from the book and neither of them are grammatically incorrect.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, all the sentences are from the book and neither of them are grammatically incorrect.
@volcanoman Are you aware that "neither" can refer only to two things. You gave us three sentences. Saying "neither of them are grammatically incorrect" would be OK if 1) there were just two sentences and 2) if that statement were true. (It's not true - as jutfrank already said, two of the three in post #1 are incorrect.)

In what context did the authors write those three sentences? Is this an exercise from the book? From what I can see online, it's not a book of English exercises.
On abebooks.com, the synopsis is given as "The U.S.A. [Customs and Institutions] improves students' reading comprehension while also providing a useful overview of American culture and traditions.
With an increased emphasis on the reading-writing connection, this edition has been revised to include updated research and statistics, as well as explanations of current attitudes and customs" and on Amazon it's described as "an advanced reader for ESL and EFL students".

Status
Not open for further replies.