Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi, I am working on a letter of motivation as part of my application for a master's degree in engineering. I do not expect you to correct it, but I would appreciate some comments on the language used in the text.

Dear XY,

I am writing to express my interest in enrolling for the Energy Systems master's programme at XY.
Studying for that particular programme means a lot to me – it is an important step in achieving my professional goal: working on engineering projects in technical consulting in Energy & Resources sector. So I will try to make this idea clear.

When I was a kid, like many other energetic and inquisitive children, I was interested in how things work. At the same time I was diligent and hard-working in studying the basics of physics, mathematics and science as a whole.
Thus, the desire to get a technical education and an interest in the energy sector together led to the receiving a BSc in Oil and Gas Engineering, in the area, exerting a significant influence on Energy Industry of the XX. Disciplines that were studied, such as hydraulics, thermodynamics, electrical engineering, mechanics, machinery and equipment of oil and gas industry are the key on the way of understanding the Energy & Resources sector. Through a learning process was formed the concept of the pipeline system as a whole: how to design, build and operate compressor and pump stations, tank farms, complex equipment of offshore and onshore pipelines.
By the completion of the bachelor degree I had a clear understanding of that the progress in energy industry does not stand still: growing demand for increasing energy efficiency, environmental and industrial safety, sustainability trend forces companies to optimize their production process. XX oil and gas industry and energy sector in many aspects in need of modernization. I would be glad to apply my knowledge gained from studying towards improving the state of the energy industry.
Therefore, in order to increase my knowledge in concepts, methods and techniques of analyzing the state of structures, systems and components; monitoring of functional performance and structural integrity, I decided to apply for the Master's programme “XX” at XY University. Learning outcomes for technical diagnostics and non-destructive testing methods, resource-saving technologies are highly relevant for my future career.
The Master's Programme in Energy Systems indispensable complements and builds upon the previously acquired knowledge that can be applied in energy efficiency projects in my future career.
As a minor specialization I am planning on choosing the Bio-Energy Systems - an excellent alternative to hydrocarbons in regions remote from the oil and gas fields and in which sustainable fuel solutions are preferred.
Thus, I believe that all the combination of studies, especially bio-energy technology solutions and turbomachinery in renewable energy, give me the skillset to think differently about how to find solutions to contemporary problems and issues in Energy & Resources sector.

During my studentship I did an internship at the XY - one of the leading XX company providing construction of gas and oil pipelines, underground gas storage facilities, compressor stations and delivery measuring stations. At the end of the internship I had a clear view of the innovative technological solutions applied in the construction of the "XY" compressor station - the starting point of the "XX" gas pipeline. This particular internship helped me reinforce my teamwork skills and also have a practical engineering experience.

For the last two years I have been attending the lectures organized by the international Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE). They usually take place in the XY University and XX, spoken languages are English and XX. It is a kind of platform for international experience exchange in solving problems of energy sector. Such type of lectures played a major role in developing my research interests, helped to be aware of the latest high-technology solutions.

It is hard to achieve my career goal without international experience since most high technology companies are multinational. I am deeply convinced of that the courses of this program match perfectly with my professional and personal projects and academic expectations. I look forward to joining the Master`s Programme in Energy Systems in order to prove my abilities and gain new skills.

Thank you for considering my application.

Yours faithfully,

XX.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Dear XY,

I am writing to express my interest in enrolling for the Energy Systems master's programme at XY.

Studying for that particular programme means a lot to me – it is an important step in achieving my professional goal: working on engineering projects as a technical consultant in the energy and resources sector.

As a child, I was energetic, inquisitive and interested in how things worked. At the same time, I was diligent and I especially enjoyed studying the basics of physics, mathematics and science in general.

In university, I did a BSc in Oil and Gas Engineering, which is an important area economically for XX. I studied a wide range of subjects including the pipeline system as a whole, as well as how to design, build and operate compressors and pump stations, tank farms, complex offshore equipment and onshore pipelines.

By the time I graduated, I had a clear understanding of the dynamic nature of the energy industry, especially with regard to the growing demand for increasing energy efficiency, environmental and industrial safety, sustainability, and the need for companies to optimize their production processes.

The XX oil and gas industry and energy sector is in need of modernization. I would be glad to apply my knowledge gained from this programme towards improving the state of the energy industry in my country.

I am particularly interested in learning more about technical diagnostics and non-destructive testing methods and resource-saving technologies which I believe are highly relevant for my future career. As a minor specialization, I plan to choosing Bio-Energy Systems - an excellent alternative to hydrocarbons in regions remote from the oil and gas fields and where sustainable fuel solutions are preferred.

I believe that what I have studied thus far, especially bio-energy technology solutions and turbomachinery in renewable energy, has given me the skillset to think differently about how to find solutions to contemporary problems and issues in the energy and resources sector.

As an undergraduate student, I did an internship at the XY - one of the leading XX companies in the construction of oil and gas pipelines, underground gas storage facilities, compressor stations and delivery measuring stations. At the end of the internship, I had a clear view of the innovative technological solutions applied in the construction of the "XY" compressor station - the starting point of the "XX" gas pipeline. That particular internship helped me reinforce my teamwork skills and also gave me a practical engineering experience.

For the last two years, I have been attending the lectures organized by the International Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE). They usually take place in the XY University and XX, in both English and XX. It is a kind of platform for international experience exchange in solving problems of the energy sector. These lectures have played a major role in developing my research interests, and helped me to become more aware of the latest high-tech solutions.

In summary, it is vital for me to gain international experience since most companies in the energy sector in my country are large multinationals. I am deeply convinced that the courses in this program match perfectly with my professional and personal areas of interest and academic expectations. I look forward to joining your master's programme in order to improve my abilities and gain new valuable skills.

Thank you for considering my application.

Yours faithfully,

XX.

Status
Not open for further replies.