Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I can't tell you what to do. I can only give you my opinion. If you disagree, fine. I stated my opinion once. I don't see any need to keep saying the same thing over and over.
1."They learnt the most-used languages in classical music - Italian, English, German, French."

2. "They are the languages that are the most used in classical music."

Isn't it wrong to omit "the" before "most-used" in the first sentence?
I think it's optional in the second sentence before "most used". Right?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Right on both counts.
Thanks. But regarding this part below. Can I say 'in a linguistic facility' instead of 'at a linguistic facility'?

Tarheel didn't mention RAU, so "at/*in* a linguistic facility" is correct. It shows that it is just one of many linguistic facilities that exist. My sentence, however, included RAU, so "at" goes with RAU, and then "in the linguistic facility" shows that it's that one specific linguistics facility inside RAU.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
'Faculty' does not refer to buildings in BrE.
If I have additional questions regarding this discussion I hope it's OK to ask a new question on UE or another forum . Especially about unanswered questions in this thread. Is it? I mean without risking being banned.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If I have additional questions regarding this discussion, I hope it's OK to ask a new question on UE or another forum, especially about unanswered questions in this thread. Is it? I mean without risking being banned.
You're welcome to ask anywhere. However, if you repost a question on another forum, please be courteous and provide them with a link to the relevant thread on UE so that they can see the responses we have given. Also, if you receive responses on another forum and then ask the same question here, you must provide a link to the thread on the other forum. It's failing to do those things that get users banned.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I mention the conservatory for the first time, should I still use "the"?
It depends. You could say, '"We studied at a conservatory" and maybe you haven't mentioned which one. On the other hand, you could say, "We went to RAU, and we studied at the conservatory there."

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It depends. You could say, '"We studied at a conservatory" and maybe you haven't mentioned which one. On the other hand, you could say, "We went to RAU, and we studied at the conservatory there."
Would it be wrong to use "in" in this sentence "They studied in a linguistics facility" and "they studied in the linguistics facility" (the specific one)?

It's from here "Tarheel didn't mention RAU, so "at a linguistic facility" is correct. It shows that it is just one of many linguistic facilities that exist. My sentence, however, included RAU, so "at" goes with RAU, and then "in the linguistic facility" shows that it's that one specific linguistics facility inside RAU."

If you mentioned RAU would it be wrong to use "in", and in emsr2d2 's sentence which includes RAU would it be wrong to use "at" twice instead of "in" "in the linguistics facility"?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
You're welcome to ask anywhere. However, if you repost a question on another forum, please be courteous and provide them with a link to the relevant thread on UE so that they can see the responses we have given. Also, if you receive responses on another forum and then ask the same question here, you must provide a link to the thread on the other forum. It's failing to do those things that get users banned.
OK. Thanks. I wanted to ask you about the sentence you corrected "They learnt the most-used languages in classical music - Italian, English, German, French." Do I understand correctly adding "and" isn't necessary when giving the list of things. Is it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You could add "and". Sometimes, it's optional and I found that to be one of those contexts. Please don't now ask me for all the contexts in which its omission is possible. It's less about grammar and more about a simple feeling, which only native speakers would feel.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
You could add "and". Sometimes, it's optional and I found that to be one of those contexts. Please don't now ask me for all the contexts in which its omission is possible. It's less about grammar and more about a simple feeling, which only native speakers would feel.
Could you please answer my question in post # 47? 🙏
I think I should rephrase the question to make it clearer. I think it's not wrong to say "They studied in a linguistics facility" and "they studied in the linguistics facility" (the specific one) because it depends how many facilities are there within RAU and if I talking about the specific one. Right?

Regarding this part "Tarheel didn't mention RAU, so "at a linguistic facility" is correct. It shows that it is just one of many linguistic facilities that exist. My sentence, however, included RAU, so "at" goes with RAU, and then "in the linguistic facility" shows that it's that one specific linguistics facility inside RAU."

Without mentioning RAU in Tarheel's sentence would it be wrong to use "in", as in "in a/the linguistics facility"? and in your sentence which includes RAU would it be wrong to use "at" twice? As in " They study at RAU, at a/the linguistics facility"? I used both "a" and "the" because there may be a few facilities.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think we can say that Tarheel and I probably don't agree on whether you should use "on" or "at", and whether you should use "linguistic facility" or "linguistics facility".

I would use only the following:
They studied at the RAU linguistics facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.