Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
This is a short essay about music schools. I think these parts aren't natural "one of them was learning languages" I think it should be "They study many subjects including languages." I think it should be "at conservatory" and it should not be capitalized if it's not a name. "It was so little time to learning a language" I would change into "it wasn't enough time for learning a language."
By "practical days" I mean practical lessons.

"They were students of Yerevan Komitas State Conservatory. They study many subjects, one of them was learning languages. Every year they studied one language, which they used in their profession - singing. There are mostly used languages in classical music - Italian, English, German, French.
In the first year they studied French. Some students started to study it in Conservatory.
We studied English for two years. It was so little time to learning a language. Most students didn't remember anything in English after it.
Before conservatory some students tried to study at RAU in a linguistic faculty. They didn't have practical days or something else to improve their knowledge in (I think it should be "of") English.

Some students can learn languages very fast, and some of them need more time for understanding. Education needs to pay more attention for practice (I think it should be "practical) lessons, like speaking with each other, or having practices in other people or with kids in kindergarten."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A school subject is something you study and learn about. Don't say "learning languages" is a subject, because it's not. What is the real subject?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

They are the languages that are the most used in classical music.

It's Italian (mostly) if you're talking about opera.

Don't say mostly used languages .

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

It wasn't enough time to learn a language.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Try:

It wasn't enough time to learn a language.
They were students of Yerevan Komitas State Conservatory. They study many subjects, one of them was learning languages. Every year they studied one language, which they used in their profession - singing. There are mostly used languages in classical music - Italian, English, German, French.
In the first year they studied French. Some students started to study it in Conservatory.
We studied English for two years. It was so little time to learning a language. Most students didn't remember anything in English after it.
Before conservatory some students tried to study at RAU in a linguistic faculty. They didn't have practical days or something else to improve their knowledge in (I think it should be "of") English.

Some students can learn languages very fast, and some of them need more time for understanding. Education needs to pay more attention for practice (I think it should be "practical) lessons, like speaking with each other, or having practices in other people or with kids in kindergarten."
A school subject is something you study and learn about. Don't say "leatning languages" is a subject, because it's not. What is the real subject?
The subject is English.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Say:

Say:

Could you tell me if the rest is correct?

"They were students of Yerevan Komitas State Conservatory. Every year they studied one language, which they used in their profession - singing.
In the first year they studied French. Some students started to study it in (or at?) Conservatory.
We studied English for two years. Most students didn't remember anything in English after it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

Some students studied at the conservatory.

And:

Most students didn't remember any English afterwards.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you mean by "tried to study"?

What do yo mean by "practical days"?

Say:

improve their knowledge of English

Or:

improve their English

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
What do you mean by "tried to study"?

What do yo mean by "practical days"?

Say:

improve their knowledge of English

Or:

improve their English
I think I should say "studied" instead of "tried to study". But I meant because they weren't happy with the course in the previous place they 'tried" to study it in another.
By practical days/lessons I mean lessons during which students practice their speaking skills. In one of my books there are chapters called "Practical English" with conversations. What would you suggest to use instead of practical days/lessons?
Could you tell if the sentences below are correct?
Especially the parts marked by astericks.

"We studied English for two years.
Before conservatory some students studied at RAU *in* a linguistic faculty. They didn't have practical days or something else to improve their knowledge of English."

And this

"Some students can learn languages very fast, and some of them need more time *for* *understanding*. *Education* needs to pay more attention to (I removed *for*) *practice* (I think it should be "practical) lessons, like *speaking* * with* each other, or *having practices* with other people or with kids in kindergarten."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you say somebody "tried" to do something the suggestion is that that person failed at that. Otherwise, we wouldn't say they tried. We would just say they did it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe you mean that they weren't happy with the course at one school so they decided to take the same course somewhere else.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

They didn't get to practice what they had learned, so it didn't stay with them.

And:

We studied English for two years at XX School.

And:

Some people are adept at learning languages. Others have to work at it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Before conservatory, some of the students studied at a linguistics facility. Unfortunately, they didn't get to practice what they had learned, so it didn't stick with them.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You need to practice anything to get good at it.

Isn't a conservatory a place for music?

www.dictionary.com

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is a short essay about music schools. I think these parts aren't natural:

1. I think
"one of them was learning languages" I think it should be "They study many subjects, including languages." I agree, with the addition of the comma.
2. I think it should be "at the conservatory" and it should not be capitalized if it's not a name. You're right about the capitalisation.
3. I would change "It was so little time to learning a language" I would change into "It wasn't enough time for learning to learn a language."
4. By "practical days" I mean practical lessons.

"They were students of at Yerevan Komitas State Conservatory. They studied many subjects, one of them was learning including foreign languages. Every year, they studied one a new language, which they used in their profession - singing. There are mostly They learnt the most-used languages in classical music - Italian, English, German, French.

In the first year, they studied French. Some students started to study it in Conservatory. I don't understand the underlined sentence. Do you mean that some students only started learning French for the first time at that conservatory?

We studied English for two years. It was so little That's a very short time in which to learning learn a language. Most students didn't remember anything in English after it anything they'd learnt after they left.

Before attending/joining the conservatory, some students tried to study at RAU, in a the linguistic faculty. They didn't have practical days or something else to improve their knowledge in (I think it should be "of") of English. Even with your explanation above, I don't know what you mean by "practical days/lessons". What did their study entail?

Some students can learn languages very fast, and but some of them need more time for understanding take/need longer. Education needs to pay more attention for practice (I think it should be "practical) concentrate more on practical lessons, like speaking with each other conversing , or having practices in with classmates, with other people or with kids in kindergarten."

See my corrections, suggested changes and comments above.

You started with "They were students", suggesting your essay is about other people. Halfway through, you used "We studied English". I'm confused. Did "we" attend the conservatory or are you talking about studying a language at a different facility?
What is "RAU"?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Maybe you mean that they weren't happy with the course at one school so they decided to take the same course somewhere else.
Exactly! But I didn't know "tried" means you did not succeed in doing that.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

You started with "They were students", suggesting your essay is about other people. Halfway through, you used "We studied English". I'm confused. Did "we" attend the conservatory or are you talking about studying a language at a different facility?
What is "RAU"?

What is "RAU"?

Sorry, its Russian-Armenian University.

"In the first year, they studied French. Some students started to study it in Conservatory. I don't understand the underlined sentence. Do you mean that some students only started learning French for the first time at that conservatory." Yes. I should change my "in conservatory" into "at the conservatory" or is "in" also a correct option?

By "practical days/lessons" I mean lessons during which students get to practise their speaking skills. The teacher chooses different topics for each discussion and each student shares their opinion.

I noticed that you used "in" before "a linguistics faculty" while Tarheel used "at" before it: "Before conservatory, some of the students studied at a linguistics facility". And "linguistics" not "linguistic". Is it the difference between British and American English?

This is your sentence
"Before attending/joining the conservatory, some students tried to study at RAU, in a the linguistic faculty."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Tarheel didn't mention RAU, so "at a linguistic facility" is correct. It shows that it is just one of many linguistic facilities that exist. My sentence, however, included RAU, so "at" goes with RAU, and then "in the linguistic facility" shows that it's that one specific linguistics facility inside RAU.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Exactly! But I didn't know "tried" means you did not succeed in doing that.
It depends. It doesn't necessarily mean that, but if you don't indicate otherwise it's a reasonable assumption. For example, you could say: "He tried and tried and tried and finally succeeded."

However, most of the time it wouldn't make sense to say somebody had tried to do something when in fact he had done it. For example, I wouldn't say I tried to study unless I was going to follow that up by explaining why I was unable to.

www.dictionary.com

Status
Not open for further replies.