My boss’/boss’s car is the same as mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice Chu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Are the following sentences correct?
1) My boss’/boss’s car is the same as mine.
2) James’/James’s bike is similar to yours.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
#1 - boss' is incorrect.
#2 - James' is possible, but is rarely used these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
2) James’/James’s bike is similar to yours.

NOT A TEACHER

I think that it is accurate to say that here in the (United) States, most people would find "James's" strange-looking. Only a few people nowadays (including me) insist on the second "s."

Most people would simply write, for example, "James' house is in a nice neighborhood."

Of course, in speech, it should be pronounced as "Jameses house," not "James house."

Many Americans consider a second "s" as unnecessary clutter. That is why I am confident that most contemporary Americans would also write, for example, "I accidentally ran my car into the boss' car." (Of course, it should be pronounced as "bosses car.")

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd write the boss's car. I'd be surprised to see the phrase without the final s.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Traditionally in BRE, I was taught that we would say James' for a first name and James's for a second name. which is why saints who only have one name do https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_James's_Park. They do confuse the issue if you follow this "rule".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

I think that it is accurate to say that here in the (United) States, most people would find "James's" strange-looking. Only a few people nowadays (including me) insist on the second "s."

Most people would simply write, for example, "James' house is in a nice neighborhood."

Of course, in speech, it should be pronounced as "Jameses house," not "James house."

Many Americans consider a second "s" as unnecessary clutter. That is why I am confident that most contemporary Americans would also write, for example, "I accidentally ran my car into the boss' car." (Of course, it should be pronounced as "bosses car.")
If that's true, I haven't noticed it. To this American, James' is strange looking. If I pronounce the S, I write the S. James's, boss's, jazz's, Bruce's. Leaving out the S would make them look like contractions.

But the important thing is to be consistent.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Just for fum, I thought of seeing what Google thinks. Google Translate gives St James's as Jaymzuz, as do I.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree that there is usually no extra "s" after the apostrophe with the names of saints, but I would use one after people's names (first name or surname). What you need to remember is that if you pluralise a surname (that already ends in an "s") and make it a possessive, you don't use another "s" at the end.

This is James's car. (James is his first name.)
This is Mr James's car. (James is his surname.)
This is the Jameses' car. (James is the surname.)

In the third, we are talking about the James family. It's their surname and the car belongs to all of them. We wouldn't write "the Jameses's car". The neatest way to write it is "This is the James family's car".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I would be stunned if that were true. Don't forget that many Americans also place an apostrophe before an 's' to show that a noun is plural!

For me, this is all very simple: just write it as you'd pronounce it. Nobody would say the boss' car. We say the boss's car.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would be stunned if that were true. Don't forget that many Americans also place an apostrophe before an 's' to show that a noun is plural!

For me, this is all very simple: just write it as you'd pronounce it. Nobody would say the boss' car. We say the boss's car.
If I remember right, I was actually taught to write the boss' car, many decades ago now. I haven't done it since I was twenty or so and, as I noted above, would be surprised to see anyone else do it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Don't forget that many Americans also place an apostrophe before an 's' to show that a noun is plural!

Yes, they do. And it's really annoying.
:-|

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, they do. And it's really annoying.
:-|

To be fair, however, Americans are not the only ones guilty of misused apostrophes.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Aye, British greengrocers have been selling apple's and pear's for years.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I used to be a member of the now defunct UK-based Apostrophe Appreciation Society. Members were encouraged to carry a black marker pen to obliterate unnecessary apostrophes and a bottle of Tippex (White-Out) to add missing ones to any offending signs we saw.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Or maybe the other way round depending on the background colour of the message.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Someone asked whether it should be the grocer's apostrophe or the grocers' apostrophe. It's a tricky question.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I used to be a member of the now defunct UK-based Apostrophe Appreciation Society. Members were encouraged to carry a black marker pen to obliterate unnecessary apostrophes and a bottle of Tippex (White-Out) to add missing ones to any offending signs we saw.

My mother gave her local supermarket sufficient hell for them to know, and correct in their signage, the difference between less and fewer. They didn't roll it out nationwide, but they had one branch where pedants could breathe a sigh of relief.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, yes, the famous "10 items or less" till sign! It still drives me mad. :argue:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It was changed in one town in the Midlands.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Ah, yes, the famous "10 items or less" till sign! It still drives me mad. :argue:

That often appears in shops that decline to accept card payments for purchases amounting to £10 or fewer.

:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.