Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello.

My clean house/my clean home

Is there any special different meaning between clean house/home when we speak about household chores?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please give us a complete sentence to consider, in which you're not sure which one works.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'll also add that the modifier clean is very probably irrelevant here. The question should concern the differences in meaning/use between house and home.

Aksinia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello.

My clean house/my clean home

Is there any special different meaning between clean house/home when we speak about household chores?

Thank you.
It is not a sentence
Please give us a complete sentence to consider, in which you're not sure which one works.
It is just a phrase, not a sentence.
When activity (cleaning) is completed, how can I say that my house/home is clean?
My clean house or my clean home?
I would like to use a phrase, not a sentence (My house/home is clean).

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think you're talking about cleaning your house (the building in which you live), so use 'clean house'.

Again, focus on the difference in meaning/use between 'house' and 'home'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is not a sentence.

It is just a phrase, not a sentence.
When the activity (cleaning) is completed, how can I say that my house/home is clean?
Should I say "my clean house" or "my clean home"?
I would like to use a phrase, not a sentence - "My house/home is clean".
Do you mean that you don't want to say "My house/home is clean", but you want to use a sentence that contains either "my clean house" or "my clean home"? If you want your English to make sense, you need to speak in sentences, not just short phrases.

josephbunny53

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Pakistan
Not a teacher (added by moderator)

Generally, "clean house" and "clean home" are often used interchangeably and don't carry significantly different meanings. Both phrases refer to the state of cleanliness in one's living space regarding household chores. It's more a matter of personal preference or regional language use. If there are specific nuances or cultural differences, forum members might provide additional insights based on their experiences.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
@josephbunny53, please read this extract from the forum rules:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your posts.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Generally, "clean house" and "clean home" are often used interchangeably and don't carry significantly different meanings. Both phrases refer to the state of cleanliness in one's living space regarding household chores. It's more a matter of personal preference or regional language use. If there are specific nuances or cultural differences, forum members might provide additional insights based on their experiences.
I disagree slightly. It has nothing to do with household chores. It just means the place is clean. (You might have regular maid service.)

josephbunny53

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Pakistan
Not a teacher. (added by moderator.)

Your clean home radiates a serene ambiance, reflecting your meticulous care and attention to detail. The organized simplicity creates a haven of tranquility, where every corner speaks of harmony and order. It's a testament to your commitment to a peaceful and inviting living space.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Generally, "clean house" and "clean home" are often used interchangeably and don't carry significantly different meanings.
Until 1998, I always lived in a house. I referred to it as house or home. I used the former word if I was thinking primarily of the building, the latter if I was thinking more of the place I lived in.

Since then, I have lived only in flats, and do not use the word house of the paces I have lived in.