My friend came to my house for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"My friend came to my house for the first time since I fell ill."

"My friend came to my house for the first time after I fell ill."

"My friend came to my house for the first time after my illness."

"My friend came to my house for the first time after falling ill."

Please check.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Congratulations, tufguy. They are all correct.

They don't all mean the same thing, though. In particular, the person who was ill is different in the last sentence.

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
It is likely that the first example is what you intend to say. Your friend has been to your house before, but this is the first time since you became ill. That is your intended meaning? First sentence is correct.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is likely that the first example is what you intend to say. Your friend has been to your house before, but this is the first time since you became ill. [STRIKE]That[/STRIKE] Is that your intended meaning? The first sentence is correct.

ChinaDan, we spend a lot of time on the forum making sure that learners understand how to construct a question correct (subject-verb inversion) and that they know they must write complete sentences. As a native speaker and teacher, please make sure your own posts follow standard constructions because learners will assume that everything you write is correct. Thanks.

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
ChinaDan, we spend a lot of time on the forum making sure that learners understand how to construct a question correct (subject-verb inversion) and that they know they must write complete sentences. As a native speaker and teacher, please make sure your own posts follow standard constructions because learners will assume that everything you write is correct. Thanks.

I suppose I could get into an involved, convoluted argument were I defend that my usage is "correct"; however, I take your point, and understand the spirit of your comment. I'll endeavor to monitor my form in future.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It is likely that the first example is what you intend to say. Your friend has been to your house before, but this is the first time since you became ill. That is your intended meaning? First sentence is correct.

Yes.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Congratulations, tufguy. They are all correct.

They don't all mean the same thing, though. In particular, the person who was ill is different in the last sentence.

In the last sentence the ill person is my friend, right? I just wanted to check whether it works this way or not or whether it works other way round. (is this sentence correct?)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"My friend came to my house for the first time after falling ill."

In the last sentence the ill person is my friend, right? I just wanted to check whether it works this way or not or whether it works other way round. (is this sentence correct?)

Yes, the sentence is grammatically correct and it is your friend who has gotten sick. It may not mean what you want, though. The sentence means your friend was ill when he visited you.

Status
Not open for further replies.