Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I have tried to use "wish" in my sentences. Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. After Peter's child died in a traffic accident he caused by driving recklessly, he wished he had never bought a car.
2. Watching his father struggling in the mud with a horse-driven plough, Michael wished he had enough money to buy him a tractor.
3. After Bea's husband died from cancer, her life felt meaningless, and she wished she herself would get a fatal illness which would quickly end her pain and loneliness.
4. Witnessing her parents constantly having an argument, Pia wished she had never been born.
5. When Bob was a child, he wished to be a professional football player, but his friends told him, "You wish!"
6. Martin wished his wife would not spend so much time in a gym working on her bum muscles, but instead reading more books.
7. David wished he didn't lend money to Bob the first time because he was after David all the time and wanted to borrow more.
8. Clive had always wished to have a son, but his wife gave birth to three daughters. His friends consoled him by telling him that daughters usually take better care of their fathers than sons.
9. A popular writer wished to be part of the expedition to the Arctic but failed a physical test and had to stay home.
10. A house owner wished to have a sculpture of an angel on top of the roof, but he didn't get a building permission.

I have tried to use "wish" in my sentences. Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. After Peter's child died in a traffic accident he caused by driving recklessly, he wished he had never bought a car. :tick:

2. Watching his father struggling in the mud with a horse-driven plough, Michael wished he had enough money to buy him a tractor. :tick:

3. After Bea's husband died from cancer, her life felt meaningless, and she wished she herself would get a fatal illness which would quickly end her pain and loneliness. :tick:

4. Witnessing her parents constantly [STRIKE]having an argument[/STRIKE] arguing, Pia wished she had never been born.

5. When Bob was a child, he wished to be a professional football player, but his friends told him, "You wish!" I'd use "wanted to be" at the start.

6. Martin wished his wife would not spend so much time in a gym working on her [strike]bum muscles[/strike] glutes, but instead reading more books.

7. David wished he [STRIKE]didn't lend[/STRIKE] hadn't lent money to Bob the first time because he was after David all the time and wanted to borrow more.

8. Clive had always wished [STRIKE]to have[/STRIKE] for a son, but his wife gave birth to three daughters. His friends consoled him by telling him that daughters usually take better care of their fathers. [STRIKE]than sons. [/STRIKE] ("than sons" is unnecessary at the end and omitting it avoids the possible ambiguity of it meaning that daughters usually take better care of their fathers than they do of their sons.)

9. A popular writer wished to be part of the expedition to the Arctic but failed a physical test and had to stay home. :tick:

10. A house owner wished to have a sculpture of an angel on top of the roof, but he didn't get [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the [requisite] building permission.

See above.

I would use "horse-drawn" in #2. In #6, consider "the gym", and change "but instead reading" to "but would instead read".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back