Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would you please correct my mistakes in the following sentences.

1. I asked the older teacher how he felt teaching, and he answered that it was not like it used to be.
2. As the nurse walked by a bed, the patient clutched her arm. "Bring me some water please," he whispered.
3. After his daughter's tragic death, her father cloistered himself, and did not leave his house for weeks.
4. John moved to another town in the belief he was going to forget his former wife. But he was hunted down by her picture
whenever he stayed alone.
5. When the family gathered, Father stood up and launched into a diatribe against greed and materialism.
6. He sat at the table pretending to enjoy the evening, but he could hardly hide the fury boiling inside him watching his wife
dancing with a stranger.
7. The Prime Minister's love affair started on the morning when his wife was visiting an ophthalmologist to get a prescription
for a new pair of spectacles.
8. The young teacher has to work her guts out. As if her daily job was not enough, she spent nights correcting student's exercises.
9. The ugly fat man was covered in tattoos and held a slobbering pit bull on a lead. They both looked frightening,
and I walked over to the other side of the street.
10. Peter moved with his wife to the farm of his parents, believing they would warm to her,
but they treated her with suspicion, as if the young woman was planning to poisoned them.

4. John moved to another town in the belief he was going to forget his former wife. But he was hunted down by her picture
whenever he stayed alone. Do your mean "haunted"?

10. Peter moved with his wife to the farm of his parents, believing they would warm up to her,
but they treated her with suspicion, as if the young woman was planning to poison[STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE] them.

tedmc,
I mean "hunted down." John is, of course, not literary hunted down, but symbolically.
Regarding the verb "warm up", as I understand in BrE you can use "warm" without "up", just warm to someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back