My private teacher charges a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis Flmg

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
When it comes to teaching private students, can I say My teacher charges a good price? Is what private students pay called tuition? I don't think price and tuition are the right words.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can say "a good price" or "a good rate". "Good" would be taken to mean "reasonable" or even "cheap". In BrE, we'd say they pay "a tuition fee". They're paying for tuition.
Why did you think that "price" and "tuition" aren't the right words? What alternatives were you considering?

Luis Flmg

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I would use "a reasonable rate" instead.

No. Have you tried looking up "tuition" yet?
www.onelook.com

See above.
Yes, that's why I came to the conclusion that the words were wrong. Anyway, I also know that sometimes dictionaries are not precise.

Luis Flmg

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
You can say "a good price" or "a good rate". "Good" would be taken to mean "reasonable" or even "cheap". In BrE, we'd say they pay "a tuition fee". They're paying for tuition.
Why did you think that "price" and "tuition" aren't the right words? What alternatives were you considering?
I just couldn't come up with anything.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I just couldn't come up with anything.
That answers the question "What alternatives were you considering?" but it doesn't answer "Why did you think that "price" and "tuition" aren't the right words?"

Luis Flmg

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
That answers the question "What alternatives were you considering?" but it doesn't answer "Why did you think that "price" and "tuition" aren't the right words?"
I've learned that there are many words in English (price, tuition, fee, etc...) that corresponds to one single word in Portuguese - preço. So it's not always easy for us, Brazilians, to know exactly when to use them. The sentence I posted is one of the cases. I wasn't sure about tuition because the dictionaries where I looked up this word in didn't mention private classes.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

So it's not always easy for us Brazilians to know which one to use.

That's understandable. Also, as you have already noticed, comparing an English word to its Portuguese equivalent has limited usefulness. (You are advanced enough not to have to do that.)

Luis Flmg

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Say:

So it's not always easy for us Brazilians to know which one to use.

That's understandable. Also, as you have already noticed, comparing an English word to its Portuguese equivalent has limited usefulness. (You are advanced enough not to have to do that.)
You're totally right! That's why I opened the thread. I would never be able to know the answers without coming here!

Status
Not open for further replies.