Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Cantonese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
There’re a three words/phrases that I can’t catch in this video below, and I’d like to know what they are:

Phrase 1

In 2:17–2:20, the interviewee says, ‘[…] it looks so mean. It is terribly [‘burglary’]^‑designed.’.

‘^’ sounds like ‘burglary’, but it doesn’t fit the context here. And I don’t think ‘burglary‑designed’ is a word.

Word 1 and phrase 2

In 2:29–2:37, the same man says, ‘And this is designed by the kind of person who makes [‘noclets’]* for maiden ladies, [‘you know’]#. This isn’t real style and design.’.

‘*’ sounds something like ‘noclets’, which isn’t a word.

‘#’ sounds like the word‑filler of ‘you know’, but I’m not too sure.

The auto‑generated subtitles don’t make sense, hence I’m seeking help here.

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.
It is terribly [‘burglary’]^‑designed.’.
The word is "badly".
sounds something like ‘noclets’, which isn’t a word.
He says "notelets".

---------------
By the way, is your profile info correct?

That’s what I’ve been thinking as well, but I was having doubts because the speaker seems to be pronouncing the ‘te’ bit in the middle with a /k/ sound. I’ve tried slowing the video down to 0·5× and 0·25×, but all I could hear was still /k/. Not sure if it’s due to his older‑form RP accent or the decreased sound quality of an old video.

By the way, is your profile info correct?
Yes.

That’s what I’ve been thinking as well, but I was having doubts because the speaker seems to be pronouncing the ‘te’ bit in the middle with a /k/ sound. I’ve tried slowing the video down to 0·5× and 0·25×, but all I could hear was still /k/. Not sure if it’s due to his older‑form RP accent or the decreased sound quality of an old video.
I don't know, but he definitely says "notelets".
Are you using a proxy server?

You're hearing a /k/ because of what's happening in the speaker's mouth. A /t/ is formed by the tip of the tongue touching the alveolar ridge. A dark l (the sort you get in 'keel' rather than 'leek') is formed by the sides of the back of the tongue. If 'notelet' is enunciated clearly, the /t/ is formed by the tip of the tongue and the pressure behind the tongue is released tthrough the front of the mouth, and then a clear l is formed, But often, as with this speaker. the tongue just flattens against the roof of the mouth and the pressure is released in the making of the /l/, with the closure between the back of the tongue and the hard palate mimicking a /k/;. It's called 'lateral plosion'..

You're hearing a /k/ because of what's happening in the speaker's mouth. A /t/ is formed by the tip of the tongue touching the alveolar ridge. A dark l (the sort you get in 'keel' rather than 'leek') is formed by the sides of the back of the tongue. If 'notelet' is enunciated clearly, the /t/ is formed by the tip of the tongue and the pressure behind the tongue is released tthrough the front of the mouth, and then a clear l is formed, But often, as with this speaker. the tongue just flattens against the roof of the mouth and the pressure is released in the making of the /l/, with the closure between the back of the tongue and the hard palate mimicking a /k/;. It's called 'lateral plosion'..
So this is a case of /tl/ sounding like /k/?

It doesn't sound exactly like it, and it's certainly not advisable totry to emulate it! But it shares some of the vharacterustics of a /k/.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back