No evil spider is a match for my slipper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Is my sentence correct?

Our village is now safe because we've been saved by a brave hero who's slain the monstrous evil spider with a slipper.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Which part(s) are you doubtful about?

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Which part(s) are you doubtful about?
I'd first like to know if the sentence is correct in the first place, but "...with a slipper" bothers me the most.

Did the spider wield a slipper? Was the slipper used to slay said spider?

(How) would it change if I added extra information about the spider?

Our village is now safe because we've been saved by a brave hero who's slain the monstrous evil spider that terrorized our lives with a slipper.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why does your title not appear in your thread?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, your sentence is fine. It's clear that the hero used a slipper to kill the spider.

Adding that terrorized our lives makes it open to ambiguity in that with a slipper seems now to be modifying terrorized our lives rather than slain the monstrous evil spider.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm sorry. I don't know what you mean. Everything looks fine on my end.
Adding that terrorized our lives makes it open to ambiguity in that with a slipper seems now to be modifying terrorized our lives rather than slain the monstrous evil spider.

Would this work?

Our village is now safe because we've been saved by a brave hero who's slain with a slipper the monstrous evil spider that terrorized our lives.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
emsr2d2 said:

I'm sorry. I don't know what you mean. Everything looks fine on my end.

Your title was "No evil spider is a match for my slipper". Those should be the words you're asking us about. However, your actual post asked us if this sentence was correct:

Our village is now safe because we've been saved by a brave hero who's slain the monstrous evil spider with a slipper.

The title of your post should have been "Our village is now safe because ..." or something similar.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Your title was "No evil spider is a match for my slipper". Those should be the words you're asking us about. However, your actual post asked us if this sentence was correct:

The title of your post should have been "Our village is now safe because ..." or something similar.
Oh... I thought you meant the title wasn't displayed in the thread at all.

I'll try to keep my titles more closely related to the thread itself in the future. I didn't think there would be an issue with this one.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Our village is now safe because we've been saved by a brave hero who's slain with a slipper the monstrous evil spider that terrorized our lives.

This sentence feels awkward. Is this a perfectly normal structure, or something that's technically correct, but I shouldn't really expect anyone to speak like that naturally.

A) I locked with a key the door.
B) I locked the door with a key.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, it's absolutely fine. In fact, it's the best possible way of organising the elements in that sentence. As I said, if you place the preposition phrase with a slipper at the end of the sentence, it causes problems as to what it's modifying, given the placement of the relative clause.

A) I locked with a key the door.
B) I locked the door with a key.

Sentence A is highly unnatural in normal speech. The direct object 'wants' to be directly juxtaposed to its verb. It's only when there are complicating factors (as in the 'spider' sentence) that this law is broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.