[Grammar] No one could ever find out what really happened - or didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
In the following passage from her novel Getting Hers the author Donna Hill violates the sequence of tenses, using 'may be' instead of might be, which is required by the past tense of the governing verb.
'Could ever find out' is wrongly used instead of 'would ever be able to find out'.
'...or didn't' is incorrect.ly used instead of 'hadn't'.
The adjective 'spanning' is used improperly with reference to a tree. One should use 'spreading' or 'branchy' instead.
And still she gets published somehow.

Form the opposite side of the hole (of the grave) beneath the shadow of a spanning oak, Nicole Perez murmured Amen, along with the mourners. And good riddance, she added under her breath. No one could ever find out what really happened - or didn't. This would be all over soon and the three of them could move on with their lives - whatever that may be.

'Whatever that may be' is clumsy. The rest is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still I think that 'spanning' is wrong here for it basically means 'crossing over a distance from a point to another point'.

Still I think that 'spanning' is wrong here for it basically means 'crossing over a distance from a point to another point'.

But how do you know it doesn't mean that here? I mean, we have to assume that the native-speaking writer did mean that.

I'd use or would instead of or didn't as we're at the funeral.

I think didn't is appropriate. The sentence means No one could ever find out what really happened - or didn't (happen).

Now I think that this is a stream of consciousness and it is in the historical 'now': 'could' is in subjunctive, 'didn't' is simple past, and 'may be' is appropriate. The author just didn't make it clear.

Constantinusphilo, please note that I have changed your thread title. I think you should know by now that titles should be unique, relevant to the thread, and should contain some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about. Your original title, "The tenses", is useless. It could apply to thousands of threads on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back