Academic
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Indian Dystopian Fiction of the Last Decade

As the main heading of a paper, is "the Last Decade" here properly used? Or should I say it in some other way? I am referring here to the literature of the last ten years. please guide me. Thanks. (written by me)

What if I say instead:

Indian Dystopian Fiction in English of the Last Ten Years?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Either form does the job.

But don't you think it isn't clear which decade you mean? I mean, why not put the dates? Where is this going to be published?

chitraaa

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Either form does the job.

But don't you think it isn't clear which decade you mean? I mean, why not put the dates? Where is this going to be published?
Yes, you are right. It is a literary journal of literature and criticism. So, can I say:
Indian Dystopian Fiction of the Last Decade (2010-2020) in English
or
Indian Dystopian Fiction in English of the Last Decade (2010-2020)
Regards.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The best I can come up with is this:

English-Language Indian Dystopian fiction of 2010-2020

It's a bit of a mouthful. What do you mean by 'Indian'? That it was authored by Indians? Or that it was published in India? Or both?

chitraaa

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

It's a bit of a mouthful. What do you mean by 'Indian'? That it was authored by Indians? Or that it was published in India? Or both?
Yes, I mean fiction that was written in English in India. Can you say what is problematic in the original sentence? We have a paper (a course) here in Universities in India called "Indian Writing in English". I was using the same expression. I wanted the decade mentioned in the heading because the paper recalls the decade and the dystopian literature that appeared during this period.
Would it be fine if I say:
"Dystopian Fiction of a Dystopian Decade: A Brief Survey of the Dystopian Writing in India after 2010"
Regards.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you saying that the only criterion is that the fiction has to have been written in India, regardless of the nationality of the author?

chitraaa

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Are you saying that the only criterion is that the fiction has to have been written in India, regardless of the nationality of the author?
Yes. It was authored by Indians and was published mostly in India and has an Indian setting too.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The answer to my question, in that case, is no. I asked you if the criterion was that the fiction was written in India and that the nationality of the author was irrelevant. You then said the fiction had to have been written by an Indian author.

chitraaa

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The answer to my question, in that case, is no. I asked you if the criterion was that the fiction was written in India and that the nationality of the author was irrelevant. You then said the fiction had to have been written by an Indian author.
Thanks, but can you say what to say instead of "Dystopian Fiction of a Dystopian Decade: A Brief Survey of the Dystopian Writing in India after 2010"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

How about dropping of as it's a title?

Status
Not open for further replies.