Oh, I heard that you don't like my house, don't you?

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
We can also have a negative sentence with a negative question tag, but that is a lot of negativeness and it sounds aggressive:
- Oh, I heard that you don't like my house, don't you? ↘
- You're not very nice, aren't you? ↘
https://multimedia-english.com/grammar/question-tags-special-cases-34

Are the above sentences really acceptable to native speakers?

No. Those are no good. I had a quick look at that site, and I don't think much of it.

"You're not very nice, are you?" is possible, but that's not one of the options, is it?

A: John doesn't like his job.
B: So he doesn't like his job, doesn't he?
(My bold.)
Source: Essays on English Grammar and Rhetoric, by Ting-chi Tang, p161.

The first one is.

A: John doesn't like his job.
B: So he doesn't like his job, doesn't he?

They are.

Tag questions typically show opposition between the main statement and the tag. If you have a positive statement, then tag is negative, and vice-versa.

Same-way tag questions (where both the main statement and tag are the same) exist, but aren't used as frequently.

In AmE, only positive-positive same-way question tags are used. Judging by 5jj's response, the negative-negative is acceptable in BrE, but would be borderline ungrammatical in AmE.

Regardless, the same-way tag questions are used differently. Rather than asking a "true" question or confirmation, they're used to express (or feign) interest, surprise, anger, or similar emotions.

Same-way tags are OK to me in certain contexts. The problem with the first in post #1 is the "I heard". It would work as something like:

Bob: I don't like your house.
Helen: Oh, you don't [like my house], don't you? Well, feel free not to come here then!

The first part of Helen's response would, in BrE, be more likely as "Oh, don't you indeed?!"

If I was Helen I would omit the first sentence and use only the second one.

We discuss question tags quite a bit here. However, I don't remember the last time I've either used one or heard one. In any case, context should tell you what the speaker's intent is.

Tag questions typically show opposition between the main statement and the tag. If you have a positive statement, then tag is negative, and vice-versa.

Same-way tag questions (where both the main statement and tag are the same) exist, but aren't used as frequently.

In AmE, only positive-positive same-way question tags are used. Judging by 5jj's response, the negative-negative is acceptable in BrE, but would be borderline ungrammatical in AmE.

Regardless, the same-way tag questions are used differently. Rather than asking a "true" question or confirmation, they're used to express (or feign) interest, surprise, anger, or similar emotions.

I came here to say that I found the negative question tag completely unnatural. "You don't like my house, do you?" is what I would say.

A same-way question tag using a verb that's negative by definition would work, in AmE.

So, you dislike/hate/despise my house, do you?

It's still technically a positive-positive construction albeit with a negative connotation.

Still, that's not really asking a question as much as it's just an observation or expression of sentiment.

I agree that only "do you?" goes with "dislike". However, with "don't like", either is possible depending on context.

Same-way tag questions​

Although the basic structure of tag questions is positive-negative or negative-positive, it is sometimes possible to use a positive-positive or negative-negative structure. We use same-way tag questions to express interest, surprise, anger etc., and not to make real questions.
Look at these positive-positive tag questions:
  • So you're having a baby, are you? That's wonderful!
  • She wants to marry him, does she? Some chance!
  • So you think that's funny, do you? Think again.
Negative-negative tag questions usually sound rather hostile:
  • So you don't like my looks, don't you? (British English)
https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/tag-questions.php

I'm assuming I'm talking to somebody I know fairly well. (Otherwise it would be just plain weird to say any of those things.)

Perhaps: "Oh, you're having a baby! Great news!"

Number two suggests skepticism. Number three suggests disagreement.

Back