Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
For the context, please assume that someone researched how many students of a university have experience in donating their blood, by year and by blood type.

Sheet 1 of the attached file shows the data on the male students and Sheet 2 (shows) those of the female students.
Can I omit the second “shows” in this case? (I think I sometimes see expressions like that.)

Would the sentence be better if I omit it because I can avoid the redundancy of repeating the same verb twice in that way?
Or, would it be better not to omit it because the meaning of the sentence would be clearer in that way?
Which is better? Thank you.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can omit it. You could even go further and say "... and Sheet 2 the female students."

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
You can omit it, but it sounds better to me when omitting the repeating verb if it said 'sheet 1 shows the data on the male students and sheet 2 the data on the female students,' rather than 'those of'. But I think this is just a matter of personal writing style.

**and I just now noticed SoothingDave's entry, his suggestion is even more concise.

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Those of" sounds odd because it is treating "data" as plural, where most of the time nowadays we would consider it as singular. So it would need to be "that of" if you were writing it that way.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would add that in any kind of scientific, analytical, statistical or legal text, clarity of meaning must override stylistic considerations of concision or brevity, even if it means repeating redundant words and phrases.

You don't want to have your readers struggling to understand what you are intending to say, when a few extra words would make it crystal clear.

For that reason, I would recommend leaving the original sentence as is:

Sheet 1 of the attached file shows the data on the male students and Sheet 2 shows those (or 'that') of the female students.

Rover

Last edited:

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I see. Thank you so much.