Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

My question concerns the sentence below:

"It happened on a cold winter day and we couldn't help him".

Is it correct to use the preposition "on" or should it be "in"?

Thanks!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What's the source of the original sentence, milan?

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
This sentence has been taken from one of the study books on technical English.

I wanted to check my intuition and knowledge as I was in favour of the preposition 'on', but had some doubts.

Thanks everyone for your help! ☺️

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are you saying that the book used in?

Tell us the name and author of the book, please.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
No, there was an exercise in the book to fill in the gaps in the text. I was doing that exercise to check my own knowledge.

As I have said before, I had little doubt between the two prepositions. To dispel my doubts I decided to apply to natives and other participants here in the forum

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I had little doubt" doesn't mean what you think it means.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"I had little doubt" doesn't mean what you think it means.

Ok, I can say then "I had some doubts about the correct preposition to choose" or "I had some doubts about the correct preposition to choose". Just in case I checked the word "doubt" in Collins Cobuild Dictionary that I've been using for a long time over the years. Hope these sentences are fine now and thanks for your corrections!

In the original phrase in my previous post I wanted to convey that I didn't doubt too much about the correct preposition and supposed that the correct one was the prep. "on".

How can I say the original phrase correctly with "doubt"?

P.S. As far as I know,
"doubt" is an uncount noun

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ok, I can say then "I had some doubts about the correct preposition to choose" or "I had some doubts about the correct preposition to choose". Just in case I checked the word "doubt" in Collins Cobuild Dictionary that I've been using for a long time over the years. Hope these sentences are fine now and thanks for your corrections!

In the original phrase in my previous post I wanted to convey that I didn't doubt too much about the correct preposition and supposed that the correct one was the prep. "on".

How can I say the original phrase correctly with "doubt"?

P.S. As far as I know,
"doubt" is A NONOUNT noun

If I say "I have little doubt" it means I don't have much doubt (or maybe none at all).

"I had some doubts" is okay, but I would probably say I wasn't sure which one to use.

That word isn't used as much as ESL learners seem to think it is. Also, it's usually used in a negative sense. For example "I doubt it" means you're skeptical about something.

Always look at the whole phrase to understand what it means -- not just one word.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
@milan2003_07 You still haven't given us the required information. Please do so before posting again.

Ok. It's the book published by one of the Russian publishing houses: G.V. Shvetsova, L.E. Moscaletz "English language for technical universities" (Rus.: Английский язык для технических вузов), Moscow, 2009

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ok Okay/OK. It's the a book published by one of the a Russian publishing house: G.V. Shvetsova, L.E. Moscaletz "English Language for Technical Universities" by G.V. Shvetsova, L.E. Moscaletz (Rus.: Английский язык для технических вузов), Moscow, 2009
Thank you. Remember to provide the source in post #1 from now on.

Note my corrections above.
At the start of a sentence, you can write "OK" or "Okay". Elsewhere in a sentence, write "OK" or "okay". However, "Ok" is always wrong.
Remember to capitalise all the main words of a book title.
Put the book title first, then the name(s) of the author(s).

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you. Remember to provide the source in post #1 from now on.

Note my corrections above.
At the start of a sentence, you can write "OK" or "Okay". Elsewhere in a sentence, write "OK" or "okay". However, "Ok" is always wrong.

Why do you say "It's a book published by ...."? Why do we use the article "a" before "book" as I have been speaking about a particular book, not any book in general?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Here, emsr2d2 is referring to books in general, not limited to the particular book that you're referring to.

Here, she's referring to the particular book that you want to quote.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you say "It's the book published by ...", it means that's the only book they ever published. That's not the case. It's one of many books published by that publisher.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
If you say "It's the book published by ...", it means that's the only book they ever published. That's not the case. It's one of many books published by that publisher.
Good day everyone! 😊
Thanks emsr2d2!
Definitely, it's not the case as that publishing house edited and published many books. And I believe they are currently working as well.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Good day everyone! 😊 (Unnecessary. You can use this in post #1 of threads if you must, but after that it's redundant.)
Thanks emsr2d2! (Unnecessary. Add the "Thanks" icon to any response you find helpful.)

It's definitely, it's not the case as that publishing house has edited and published many books no full stop here and I believe they are currently still working as well in business.
Note my changes above. As a learner, don't try to start sentences with "and".

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Great to see your corrections! Speaking about the Present Perfect Tense, I undoubtedly understand your suggestion regarding "... has edited...". It means that so far the publishing house mentioned above has published many books and other editions. However, now I am thinking why we can't say about it just in the Past Tense as a fact. To me they seem interchangeable in the context, but I definitely trust you as a native speaker. "... has edited ..." must sound better to your ear as you're a native speaker.

The collocation "be still in business" is new for me. I will remember it as I use such constructions quite often when speaking about something still going on. The phrase "... are currently working as well" is wrong or just sounds unnatural?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Q: Is the phrase "are currently working as well" wrong or does it just sound unnatural?

Two things. One, I'd like to see the rest of the sentence before responding to that. Two, you need to work on the way you form sentences.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Q: Is the phrase "are currently working as well" wrong or does it just sound unnatural?

Two things. One, I'd like to see the rest of the sentence before responding to that. Two, you need to work on the way you form sentences.

There is no particular source from where I've taken the sentence. It's just some context I've made up. OK, I will post some similar context below:

"I've borrowed the phrase from one of the books on Technical English published in Moscow (Russian Federation) by one of its publishing houses. That publishing house has been editing and publishing books for a long time since the end of the 1990s. The book on Technical English mentioned above came out in 2009. There are many publishing houses in Moscow that deal with technical literature and are operating at present. The publishing house called "Flinta" is currently working as well / still in business".

P.S.
I am permanently improving my skills and knowledge of English. I worked successfully as a tour guide with foreign tourists for about 10 years from 2010 till 2020 (among them were Americans, British people, Canadians, etc.). Also, I am currently teaching spoken English and Technical English. I've provided some info about myself just to introduce myself a little :)
I cordially appreciate your help with corrections.

Last edited: