Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,
What's the difference between:
1) I saw her on the street
2) I saw her in the street.
The use of preposition "in" or "on" makes a difference in meaning?

Hi there,

What's the difference between:
1) I saw her on the street
2) I saw her in the street.

The use of preposition "in" or "on" makes a difference in meaning?

Perhaps/perhaps not. Depends on context. Examples:

"Where did you see her? I saw her on the street". (chance encounter/casual reference.)
"I saw her in the street. She is only a child and there is a lot of traffic at this hour". (specific location)

Last edited:
Please note that there is a difference in the preposition depending on what side of the Atlantic you live in.

In the US, if you said "in the street" it means the part where the cars go and is dangerous. In the UK, it does not mean that.It means what Americans mean when we say "on the street," which means on the part where you walk.

Please note that there is a difference in the preposition depending on what side of the Atlantic you live in.

In the US, if you said "in the street" it means the part where the cars go and is dangerous. In the UK, it does not mean that.It means what Americans mean when we say "on the street," which means on the part where you walk.
"In the road" is what we say to mean the same "in the street" means for you. A child playing in the road, for example, would be dangerous. A child playing in the street would not necessarily be dangerous".

Ah, thanks. I didn't realize you differentiated between road and street that way

Hi there,

How about these sentences?
I live in the street.
I live on the street.

tks
simon

Hi there,

How about these sentences?
I live in the street.
I live on the street.

tks
simon

AmE: "I live in the street". One would not use/hear that expression.
"I live on the street". Would mean that the person is homeless.

Last edited:
hi there,
Tks, so can I say:

I live in 65th Crescent Road.

Simon

In the US, you'd say:

I live AT 65th Crescent Road.
I live ON Crescent Road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back