Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[From Longman Collocations Dictionary and Thesaurus]

a promotional/publicity tour (=one in which you go to a lot of places to advertise a book, film etc)
The director is on a promotional tour for his new film.
---
Why not "one on which ..."?

"One in which = a tour in which"; however, we say "on a tour" rather than "in a tour".

I'm confuesd. :unsure:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[From Longman Collocations Dictionary and Thesaurus]

a promotional/publicity tour (=one in which you go to a lot of places to advertise a book, film etc)
The director is on a promotional tour for his new film.
---
Why not "one on which ..."?

"One in which = a tour in which"; however, we say "on a tour" rather than "in a tour".

I'm confuesd.
Here is another example:

guided/conducted tour (=a tour in which someone shows you around a place and gives you information):

Every weekend there are free guided tours of the castle.
https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/tour_1
---
Could you tell why? Why not "on which"?

Lycidas

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We could say, I think, that "a tour in which" refers to the type of tour as a whole, whereas "a tour on which" refers to the taking of a particular type of tour.

In a tour of a particular type, certain types of things happen. On a tour of a particular type, you are likely to do certain types of things.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In a tour of a particular type, certain types of things happen. On a tour of a particular type, you are likely to do certain types of things.
I don't feel that difference. I'd always use 'on', but I don't think 'in' is wrong.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
We could say, I think, that "a tour in which" refers to the type of tour as a whole, whereas "a tour on which" refers to the taking of a particular type of tour.
How about this?

"a tour in which" refers to during that tour.
"a tour on which" refers to taking that tour.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
One way you could understand a difference is that in a tour refers to the schedule or program and on a tour refers to the experience or participation. (I think that's very close to what Lycidas suggests above.)

However, I really do think that this is probably just careless writing and that the writer wasn't thinking carefully about correct preposition use. I feel that I want to correct in to on.

Lycidas

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One way you could understand a difference is that in a tour refers to the schedule or program and on a tour refers to the experience or participation. (I think that's very close to what Lycidas suggests above.)

However, I really do think that this is probably just careless writing and that the writer wasn't thinking carefully about correct preposition use. I feel that I want to correct in to on.
Yes, that is the difference I was hinting at. I like the way you've expressed it, Jutfrank.

My natural tendency would be to use where rather than in or on. The Corpus of Contemporary American English suggests that my natural tendency is shared by others:

tour on which: 3
tour during which: 5
tour in which: 13
tour where: 50

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In my region a tour to promote a book is often called a book tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.