Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Japan
Hello everyone.The question is about the adjectives that and in -ly and specially the adjective ''lovely''.As fas as i know lovely cannot be used to modify verbs because is an adjective but I often read sentence such as : you look lovely ,you play lovely ,you look beautiful.Is those sentence correct?I think they are wrong because they use adjectives to modify verb.I will wait for your answers ,I hope to help me.Thank you very much.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You look lovely/beautiful is correct. "You play lovely" is not.

One can look or sound good (adjective) because the verbs look and sound are just variants of is that describe the state of someone or something. Play on the other hand is a definite action, and so absolutely requires an adverb. You play well, not "play good". A car runs well, not "runs good" -- although, to be fair, "runs good" is an extremely common illiteracy when talking about cars.

[By the way, please be careful with the forms "are" and "is", and whenever saying them think whether they refer to one thing or to several. Likewise nouns and adjectives. Are those sentences correct? or Is that sentence correct?, not the way you put it. Also I hope you can help me.]

merrick999

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Japan
You look lovely/beautiful is correct. "You play lovely" is not.

One can look or sound good (adjective) because the verbs look and sound are just variants of is that describe the state of someone or something. Play on the other hand is a definite action, and so absolutely requires an adverb. You play well, not "play good". A car runs well, not "runs good" -- although, to be fair, "runs good" is an extremely common illiteracy when talking about cars.

[By the way, please be careful with the forms "are" and "is", and whenever saying them think whether they refer to one thing or to several. Likewise nouns and adjectives. Are those sentences correct? or Is that sentence correct?, not the way you put it. Also I hope you can help me.]

Thank you so much for the answer and for fixed my mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.