Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"When our parents were kids a lot of people didn't have muscles but people started building muscles when our (our generation) era came."

Please check.

I'm pretty sure people have always had muscles.:-?

Era is far too grand. Try 'time'.

We use era in formal writing to refer to historical periods. It doesn't work (except in an ironic sense) for other time periods.

You had to write something, tufguy? Who's making you do it?

We use era in formal writing to refer to historical periods. It doesn't work (except in an ironic sense) for other time periods.

But it's sometimes common in sports, like: "It was the era of Senna and Prost in Formula 1."

And maybe music: "It's the era of a guitar dominated music."

I am not a teacher.

Those examples are being used as a kind of hyperbole, to emphasize the dominance of those people or that instrument over a lengthy period of time, in areas where there is typically frequent turnover in the top positions.

You had to write something, tufguy? Who's making you do it?

I mean I wanted to write something.

I wanted to write something to "put the word era in the discussion." Is it correct to say "put it in the disscusion?"

"When our parents were kids a lot of people didn't have muscles but people started building muscles when our time came."

"When our parents were kids a lot of people didn't have muscles ...

Read post #2 again. It has already been pointed out that that is simply not correct (I mean it's not true, I'm not saying it's grammatically incorrect). People have always had muscles.

No. '...to put it into context.'

Nonsense. Read post #2.

Yes, it is nonsense but I told you that I just wanted to put "era" into context. I just want you to put the facts aside. I just wanted to get my sentences checked:lol:.

I will not spend my time on nonsensical sentences. It would have been perfectly possible for you to write a logical, coherent sentence containing the word "era" if you understand the definition correctly.

You could have got 45,000 hints from Fraze.It, which we have directed your attention to before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back