Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
1) Our thinking on this matter differs.
2) Our thinking on this matter is different.
3) Our thinking on this matter is not the same.

Are the above sentences grammatically correct?

navi tasan

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much, Rover,

Let's say two people are talking about a certain matter and they realize that they don't think alike in that regards.

The husband says: "I think nobody has the legal obligation to help someone who is in danger. They do have a moral obligation to do so, but not a legal one."

The wife replies: "I disagree. They have both a moral obligation and a legal obligation, and if they don't do it, they should be prosecuted."

The husband replies: "Well then, our think in this matter differs/ Our thinking on this matter is different/ Our thinking on this matter is different/ Our thinking on this matter is not the same."

The idea is that as regards this issue we think differently.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much, Rover.

Let's say two people are talking about a certain matter and they realize that they don't think alike in that regards about it.

The husband says no colon here "I think nobody has the legal obligation to help someone who is in danger. They do have a moral obligation to do so, but not a legal one."

The wife replies no colon here "I disagree. They have both a moral obligation and a legal obligation, and if they don't do it, they should be prosecuted."

The husband replies no colon here "Well then, our thinking in this matter differs/Our thinking on this matter is different/Our thinking on this matter is different/Our thinking on this matter is not the same."

The idea is that, as regards on this issue, we think differently.
Note that "in that regards" doesn't work at all. We use "as regards" but there's really no reason for it in this informal context.
Your second and third suggested sentences are identical. I don't find any of them natural. I'd say "Clearly we don't agree on this" or "Clearly, we have different opinions about this".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I might say, "I don't agree with you on that one."

Whether something is required by law or not is not a matter of opinion.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The husband says: "I think nobody has should have the legal obligation to help someone who is in danger.

It's a side point, but as Tarheel has said, you can't have an opinion on what is or is not law. You can have an opinion only on what you think should be the law.