Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This is a follow-up to a few other threads I've started on the topic of the plurality/singularity of pronouns in English.

I think I've found an example where using ourself and themself could be justified.

When playing Stellaris, I found a hive-minded, long-extinct species of plantoids, eradicated by foreign invaders. Or at least I thought they were long extinct. When I found the last of them, the last Baol, they told their story.

Me: Tell us about yourself.
Baol: Ourself? Our...self. Yes. What is there to tell? We sat beneath the stars on soft earth, unfurled our leaves like sails to the sun overhead. We remember every drop of water that quenched them in the parched summers. Every shivering hoar that blanketed them in winters. We bent in the wind as the stars wheeled overhead.

I'm pretty sure it's a literary device, not a language error. The last Baol only uses we, us, our, and ourself throughout the conversation. It never uses I, me, my, myself, or ourselves.

As a hive mind with collective consciousness, it would make sense for the Baol to refer to themself as we. At the same time, there's a strong feeling of unity, so singular ourself also seems to make sense.

Here's another quote from the Baol to give you an idea of how they felt about themself.

When the burners came, entire colonies were silenced before the danger was known to us. Like a limb gone limp, nerves cut suddently and totally at the base. And then we lost the next, and the next, and the next. One by one, their voices left the chorus. We lost our others. Their silence deafened us who remained.

The only good example of extreme collectivism I know of from real life is communism, where it was very common to use the type of narration that included we, us, our rather than I, me, my. The Baol, however, is collectivism on a whole nother level.

Is there a place for ourself in English? Can you justify using ourself with enough context? Is it grammatical even if very rarely appropriate?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's hard to find a dictionary that doesn't include ourself, so I'd say it's pretty easy to justify.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's hard to find a dictionary that doesn't include ourself, so I'd say it's pretty easy to justify.
Fair enough.

Do you see a difference in how to use ourself and ourselves or themself and themselves?

Or do we just use the ones we like? (I can't recall ever using ourself or themself.)

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Do you see a difference in how to use ourself and ourselves or themself and themselves?

Oh, yes, sure.

Or do we just use the ones we like?

I imagine that's probably true to some extent, yes.

Personally, I have no problem with use #1 given here by Oxford, or the first use given here by Collins. Do you, Charlie?

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Personally, I have no problem with use #1 given here by Oxford, or the first use given here by Collins.

I think these entries illustrate a very different use of ourself from the one in my post. It's about a very definite group of individuals in a collective.

Me: Tell us about yourself.
Baol: Ourself? Our...self. Yes. What is there to tell?
Is Baol's ourself correct?

Here's another quote from the Baol to give you an idea of how they felt about themself.
Is my themself correct?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes – themself is just fine as the reflexive pronoun following they/them when used in the gender-neutral sense.

now used chiefly in place of "himself or herself" as a gender-neutral reflexive form of they when the reference is to a single person (as in "each person can decide for themself")
(Macmillan)

See also.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh, yes, sure.

I imagine that's probably true to some extent, yes.

Personally, I have no problem with use #1 given here by Oxford, or the first use given here by Collins. Do you, Charlie?
Aha! That makes sense. Glad I asked.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.