Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Could you please listen to this short episode and confirm me whether the guy is actually saying "Are you out of your mind" At least it looks like from the subtitles. May be the way of pronuciation is pretty relaxed or reduced enough as it is difficult to catch the whole phrase. Thank you very much indeed.

Attachments

• out.mp3
    98 KB · Views: 9

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Could you please listen to this short [STRIKE]episode[/STRIKE] clip/recording and confirm [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] whether the guy is actually saying "Are you out of your mind"? At least it looks like that from the subtitles. May be [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] his way of pronunciation is pretty [STRIKE]relaxed[/STRIKE] casual or fast [STRIKE]reduced enough[/STRIKE] as it is difficult to catch the whole phrase. Thank you very much indeed.
Yes, that's what he's saying. That would make sense. The alternative is "You're out of your mind!", but that seems less likely to me (especially given the rising tone, indicating a rhetorical question). However, let's see if some native AmE speakers have a different view.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He clearly says 'R you out of your mind? The first word is significantly reduced.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, he is, indeed, saying, "Are you out of your mind?"

He says it quickly, so it sounds like "Er you owd yer mind?" It's standard conversational American English.

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Yes, he is, indeed, saying, "Are you out of your mind?"

He says it quickly, so it sounds like "Er you owd yer mind?" It's standard conversational American English.

So, it looks like he is dropping "of" at all between 'owd and'"yer". Am I right? Thank you.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So, it looks like he is dropping "of" [STRIKE]at all[/STRIKE] altogether between 'owd and'"yer". Am I right?
My American ears hear it. The next word begins with a consonant, so he drops the /f/. This is normal American pronunciation. You'll often see "out of" written as outta in dialogs to reflect this.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So, it looks like he is dropping "of" at all between 'owd and'"yer". Am I right? Thank you.
Yes, but not on purpose. That's how we sound when we talk fast.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It depends what we mean by 'drop' but I think it's very unlikely that any speaker would drop a preposition such as of for a few reasons, the most relevant being that that would alter the rhythm of the utterance. The of is in some deep sense 'there', though it may be so weak as to be barely perceptible, and only as an unstressed beat.

By contrast, auxiliaries (especially sentence-heading ones) such as Are in this case, are likely to be dropped by speakers. It isn't the case here, however.

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
My American ears hear it

My Canadian ears, too. There's a tiny schwa between "owd" and "yer" that I think Charlie omitted when he provided his phonetic rendering. That schwa stands for of.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My Canadian ears, too. There's a tiny schwa between "owd" and "yer" that I think Charlie omitted when he provided his phonetic rendering. That schwa stands for of.
I think he missed that schwa syllable altogether. But the important points are:

- Yes, he's saying "Are you out of your mind?"

- No, he's not enunciating clearly — something English speakers anywhere in the world can be guilty of.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
My British ears hear it, though it's a bit of a struggle to get there as it's so compressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.