Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Is the sentence "Peter and Paul working together makes finishing the job a piece of cake!" correct?
Someone suggested that "Peter and Paul working together make finishing the job a piece of cake!" is.
But I think because it is not "Peter and Paul" who make it "a peace of cake", but "working together", it has to be "makes". Because one would say "It makes finishing the job a piece of cake!" or am I wrong?

Thanks,
Robert

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: "Peter and Paul working together makes finishing the job a piece of cake"

Suppose the subject were their working together. Would you use a singular or plural verb?

RobWeg

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany

In my opinion, the subject is in fact "their working together". :) Because the sentence would have the same meaning if it would read "Working together makes finishing the job a piece of cake."
And I would use "makes".

Last edited:

RobWeg

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany

As I cant believe this question is that difficult that it will remain the only unanswered question here, maybe someone could tell me what the problem with the question is or what I did wrong? That would be great.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Two moderators have Liked your post, which is your clue that your post #3 is correct.

We often give students a hint about how to work out the answer for themselves rather than give out free answers straight away,

GoesStation did that, and you responded correctly.

RobWeg

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany

O.k. then, thanks. I have no problem with being helped finding my own answer, rather than getting one. But I don't see the necessity for being so subtle. Seems to me it just causes confusion with forum newbies like me and in consequence the necessity of having to explain it. :)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

O.k. then, thanks. I have no problem with being helped finding my own answer, rather than getting one. But I don't see the necessity for being so subtle. Seems to me it just causes confusion with forum newbies like me and in consequence the necessity of having to explain it.
Sorry. If I'd remembered you were a new member, I certainly would have taken a moment to write a proper reply. For future reference, when you post text and ask whether it's right, "Likes" from moderators and experienced members are equivalent to positive answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.