Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Say I am sending a preliminary job offer to someone. If I end the message with the following:
"Please let me know either way". Is this: a. acceptable b. rude / impolite ?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
It isn't rude but sounds a little casual. If you're sending a formal email or letter, I'd suggest something to say you'll wait for them to let you know if they accept and that you'd appreciate it if they let you know if they decide not to take it up too.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the receiver should be given a "reply-by" date, beyond which the employer is not obliged to hold it.

tetrahall

Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think the receiver should be given a "reply-by" date, beyond which the employer is not obliged to hold it.
Thank you, tedmc, for your input. I will do that.

The reason for asking the question was because I noticed that each and every one I approached didn't even care to respond. They are all tutors, university graduates, being offered online tuition jobs - which they advertise. I thought they didn't like my "friendly" way :)

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Many people don't respond to emails unless they need to. :) Saying they don't want to accept an offer doesn't come under "need to". :)

tetrahall

Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Excuse for asking this: Is it allowed on this forum to seek native speakers of English with a clear British accent, who might be interested in taking part in some online conversation exercises. They needn't be teachers!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the same way that a lot of employers don't bother getting back to applicants if they've been unsuccessful, some prospective employees can't be bothered to take the time to turn down a job, even if they've been offered it. It's a shame but it's the way of the world these days. People are very impatient and assume that simply not replying is an acceptable way to indicate "No".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Excuse for asking this: Is it allowed on this forum to seek native speakers of English with a clear British accent, who might be interested in taking part in some online conversation exercises. They needn't be teachers!
You can ask! Please post in the "General Language Discussions" sub-forum and indicate that anyone who is interested should send you a Private Message on here. Please don't post any personal contact details (email address, mobile number etc).

tetrahall

Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Many people don't respond to emails unless they need to. :) Saying they don't want to accept an offer doesn't come under "need to". :)
But this was NOT the BRITISH way. Sadly Britain has changed - It incredibly pains me to say that. The British used to ALWAYS respond - out of courtesy. They could briefly say "Thank you but we are busy".

I was shocked and saddened when I sent 400 + emails to English language schools in the UK, all recognised and accredited by the British Council. Only 2 responded. This is not the UK!

It must be the CORONA virus .. or is it Putin in Moscow .. or perhaps some harmful rays from a distant galaxy called FICTIONYA 3452987876 :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But this was NOT the BRITISH British way. just one space required here Sadly Britain has changed - just one space required here it incredibly pains me to say that. just one space required here The British used to ALWAYS respond - out of courtesy. just one space required here They could briefly say "Thank you but we are busy".

I was shocked and saddened when I sent 400+ emails to English language schools in the UK, all recognised and accredited by the British Council. just one space required here Only 2 responded. just one space required here This is not the UK!

It must be the CORONA coronavirus .. or is it Putin in Moscow .. or perhaps some harmful rays from a distant galaxy called FICTIONYA 3452987876. :)
Things change. For example, one of the things that has changed in the last few decades is the required spacing after a full stop. In your text, there were at least two and sometimes four spaces after each full stop. One single space suffices, same as after a comma. In years gone by, when I was learning to touch-type, we still put two spaces after a full stop. Those days are gone. So, it seems, is the guarantee that British people will respond to emails if they're not interested.
Please resist the urge to post political content in your posts, even in jest.

tetrahall

Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you, emsr2d2, for all your responses. They have all been carefully noted and agreed with. I will post a question in the "General Language Discussions" sub-forum soon.

ROFTOK

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
So, it seems, is the guarantee that British people will respond to emails if they're not interested.
Is everything correct in this sentence?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It looks OK to me. Do you think it contains a mistake?

ROFTOK

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Those days are gone. So, it seems, is the guarantee that British people will respond to emails if they're not interested.

tetrahall

Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Would it sound better if "Those days are gone" was followed by an apostrophe not a full stop?

Those days are gone, so, it seems, is the guarantee that British people..

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What apostrophe are you talking about? You've replaced my full stop with a comma. The answer is no, anyway. I didn't use "so" to mean "consequently". I used "So ... is" to mean "Also".

tetrahall

Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What apostrophe are you talking about? You've replaced my full stop with a comma. The answer is no, anyway. I didn't use "so" to mean "consequently". I used "So ... is" to mean "Also".
Yes, I meant that it did sound better the way you wrote it with a comma. (apostrophe was a mistake written in haste)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, but to be clear, it doesn't work with a comma. I used a full stop as I meant to. I could have used a semi-colon.

tetrahall

Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for clarifying this. I am not absolutely sure that the use of "so" after a comma invariably means "consequently". But I am not an expert!

Status
Not open for further replies.