Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

One of my cousins is working as a guard in a hospital. Every day, he needs to say "Please swipe your card" to hospital staff then they can pass the entrance.

I wonder if "Please swipe your card" is natural here.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's natural, but he surely doesn't need to say that hundreds of times a day, does he?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I thought security cards these days are scanned by card readers rather than swiped.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I looked up "swipe card" on Google Image just now. I now know what it looks like. You need to put your card, usually there's a magnet stripe on it, and go through the card machine.

As ted said, yes, now people here use scaner to read cards.

But I do see swipe card machines used in some schools to pay for meals.

Now my problem is:

I want to write down "swipe one's card" in a sentence for future reference, would you please help me?

Thank you so much

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I looked up "swipe card" on Google Image just now. I now know what it looks like. You need to [STRIKE]put[/STRIKE] enter your card, and usually there's a magnetic stripe on it, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] to go through the card machine.

As ted said, yes, now people here use a scanner to read cards.

But I do see swipe card machines used in some schools to pay for meals.

Now my problem is:

I want to write down "swipe one's card" in a sentence for future reference, would you please help me?

Thank you so much

For example: It's necessary to swipe one's card in order to enter the building.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't see a problem with calling this swiping- we still use floppy disc icons to indicate saving a documents when most computer users have never seen a floppy disc,

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I don't see a problem with calling this swiping- we still use floppy disc icons to indicate saving a documents when most computer users have never seen a floppy disc,

I thought swiping means actual physical contact between the card and the machine, whereas there is no such contact these days as card-reading is done using light or magnetic field.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought swiping means actual physical contact between the card and the machine, whereas there is no such contact these days as card-reading is done using light or magnetic field.
I agree. There are three common ways to collect credit-card information automatically:

1. Swiping: ​the card is slid through a slot so the device can read a magnetic stripe;
  2. Dipping: the card is inserted into a device that makes electrical contact and exchanges information with an embedded chip;
  3. Contactless: the card is tapped on or held near a radio-based reader. The chip in the card is powered by a modulated magnetic field emitted by the reader.

Method 1 is still widely used in the United States, though it's finally being supplanted by method 2. Method 2 is probably the most common method in the US and is widely used in Europe and other parts of the world. Method 3 is overtaking method 2 in Europe and many other places. It's pretty widely available in the US but is not widely used.

"Swiping" is, I think, generally understood to apply only to method 1. I haven't heard "dipping" used outside of the industry but some others may use the term. "Contactless" is, I think, widely known as the word to describe method 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.