Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Hello.

Happy new year to all.

What does "polling" mean in teaching? I am familiar with its usage in political context, but I can not differentiate between class feedback / participation and polling? 🤔

Is polling conducted verbally to gauge students' learning of the topic matter?

Is polling conducted via rubrics and class observation?

My understanding is that "polling" is an inclusive word encompassing participations and feedback on course recommendations and materials. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Where have you heard or seen the word 'polling' in the context of teaching?

Especially at higher levels, education may occasionally make use of polls to get student feedback on a range of things. However, these things are typically about student services, timetabling, methodology, course design, materials, etc. As far as I know, polls are not a way to measure learning outcomes.

(I'm talking about the UK here. I don't know about other countries.)

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Where have you heard or seen the word 'polling' in the context of teaching?

Especially at higher levels, education may occasionally make use of polls to get student feedback on a range of things. However, these things are typically about student services, timetabling, methodology, course design, materials, etc. As far as I know, polls are not a way to measure learning outcomes.

(I'm talking about the UK here. I don't know about other countries.)

Thank you and happy new year.

I came across it while searching for the suitability of curricula to students. I can't remember the resource. The word polling rises some questions:

1. What makes survey different from polling? 🤔 The two terms seem the same to me.
2. Is online survey a type of polling?
3. Are written rubrics for course recommendations and university/school facilities are polling?