[Grammar] predicate words

• Thread starter momof2
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,785
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

momof2

I need a lesson to help my son with English. He is working on linking verbs and predicate words. They are to write if the predicte word is a noun or an adjective. I am having trouble when the predicate noun has a modifier. Ex. Dried foods are good meals for campers. Is good or meal the predicate word. I think meal, but what is good?

I need a lesson to help my son with English. He is working on linking verbs and predicate words. They are to write if the predicte word is a noun or an adjective. I am having trouble when the predicate noun has a modifier. Ex. Dried foods are good meals for campers. Is good or meal the predicate word. I think meal, but what is good?

A predicate is what you say about a subject. So in your example, are good meals for campers is a predicate.
Confused? Don't worry. Another grammar word you should be looking for is a complement, which can be either a noun (noun phrase) or an adjective. Good meals for campers is a noun phrase and the complement in the above sentence. And if you say, "Dried foods are good," then the complement is good, which is an adjective. Hope it helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back