Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Scientific studies suggest a 10%-15% increase in retention when using mind maps. In this study, participants were asked to complete a short test based on a 600-word passage of text prior to being randomly allocated to form two groups—one where they could pick whatever study technique they wanted, and the other where they had to use mind mapping. The “mind mappers” did much better, especially when testing their long-term memory.

(Source: https://nesslabs.com/mind-mapping)

I want to know if the “prior to” should be “after”.

Scientific studies suggest a 10%-15% increase in retention when using mind maps. In this study, participants were asked to complete a short test based on a 600-word passage of text prior to being randomly allocated to form two groups—one where they could pick whatever study technique they wanted, and the other where they had to use mind mapping. The “mind mappers” did much better, especially when testing their long-term memory.

(Source: https://nesslabs.com/mind-mapping)

I want to know if the “prior to” should be “after”.
After makes more sense.

Last edited:
Yes, it should be after. It doesn't make sense otherwise.

I want to know if "prior to" should be "after".

Yes. What did I leave out?

Thank you all, friends.

I want to know if "prior to" should be "after".

Yes. What did I leave out?

You left out the definite article "the". But I don't quite understand. I meant the specific preposition "prior to" in the sentence above. Why isn't the definite article necessary?

Well, the "why" questions are always hardest to answer. Also, I think it should be the other way around. That is, why would you use "the" there? (There is no reason to.)

You left out the definite article "the". But I don't quite understand. I meant the specific preposition "prior to" in the sentence above. Why isn't the definite article necessary?

Your the is fine as you're referring to the particular use of that word.

Thank you all, friends.

It's correct either way. The whys are usually Jut's department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back