problem of syntactic construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi everybody,

I made an English Theme exercise and I would like someone to tell me if this sentence is correct:

... Yet, if everyone sells at the same time, the induced prices plunge undermines debtor financial positions before they can reimburse their debts. Assets deflation can therefore alter in a vicious crisis of which one of the consequences may be a serious economic crisis.

The difficulties are of syntactic order as much as adjective-noun combinations because of differences with French language. In English it is much more easy to create adjectives with past participles, prepositional phrases, etc.

thanks to you

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi everybody,

I made an English Theme exercise and I would like someone to tell me if this sentence is correct:

... Yet, if everyone sells at the same time, the induced prices plunge undermines debtor financial positions before they can reimburse their debts. Assets deflation can therefore alter in a vicious crisis of which one of the consequences may be a serious economic crisis.

The difficulties are of syntactic order as much as adjective-noun combinations because of differences with French language. In English it is much more easy to create adjectives with past participles, prepositional phrases, etc.

thanks to you
What do you mean by "a vicious crisis"?

Last edited:

Gregory.

Member Type
Student or Learner
What do you mean by "a vicious crisis"?

hi,

sorry for the time to answer, I was not on the web

A vicious crisis is a situation in which there is no exit, example:

If you have no money, you cannot study; and if you cannot study you cannot find a job which provides you the money you need to study.

the example is a little of an hyperbole, but it is basically this kind of problem.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

If you have no money, you cannot study; and if you cannot study you cannot find a job which provides you the money you need to study.
I'm not sure if you can say 'a viscious crisis' to convey this meaning. It's not a common collocation, and as you can see a native speaker and an English teacher had doubts about its meaning.

But 'a viscious circle' should do well.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
hi,

sorry for the time to answer, I was not on the web

the example is a little of an hyperbole, but it is basically this kind of problem.
If you change "vicious crisis" to "vicious circle", as suggested by mmasny, it's fine.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The phrase 'the induced prices plunge' feels to me like the sort of thing that would appear in a translation. The same applies to 'Assets deflation', though less so. In most contexts, 'The deflation of assets' would sound better; better still, make it active: 'Assets lose their value...'

If you want to use the phrase 'price plunge', it's that (singular). But I'd say 'The resulting fall in prices...'.

b

Gregory.

Member Type
Student or Learner
The phrase 'the induced prices plunge' feels to me like the sort of thing that would appear in a translation. The same applies to 'Assets deflation', though less so. In most contexts, 'The deflation of assets' would sound better; better still, make it active: 'Assets lose their value...'

If you want to use the phrase 'price plunge', it's that (singular). But I'd say 'The resulting fall in prices...'.

b

Thanks,

The difficulty with which I am confronted is when put a "noun phrase" + of + "noun phrase" and when use a compound construction. Not an easy task.

Here is the final release:

"... Yet, if everyone sells at the same time, the resulting fall in prices undermines debtor financial positions before they can reimburse their debts. The deflation of assets can therefore alter in a vicious circle of which one of the consequences may be a serious economic crisis."

Thanks for staff members of your help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.