Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,

I would like to use a little bit more complex sentence, and I wonder wheter I am doing this right.

My sentence goes as follow "This made them possible to obtain the “Made in Italy” brand, regardless of how much Italian Olive Oil actually their final product ever comprised of."

What did I do wrong?

Thank you.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I would like to [STRIKE]use a little bit more complex[/STRIKE] make my sentence a little bit more complex, and I wonder whether I am doing this right.

My sentence goes as follow "This made them possible to obtain the “Made in Italy” brand, regardless of how much Italian olive oil [STRIKE]actually[/STRIKE] their final product actually contained. [STRIKE]ever comprised of."[/STRIKE]
See above. I don't understand the underlined part. Also, what are those final products?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Perhaps the opening should be "This made it possible for them to obtain ...". I don't think "brand" is the right word for "Made in Italy". According to Wikipedia, it is a "merchandising mark".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
As a matter of fact, I also don't think "made in Italy" is what's intended; I suspect "produced in Italy" might be needed, but I was waiting for clarification from the OP.

dearsei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
See above. I don't understand the underlined part. Also, what are those final products?

Thank you for your response.

Well, I try to write a blog post in English about olive oil adulteration. The paragraph looks like this:

"Few years ago, the anti-fraud intelligence unit of the Italian Customs Agency exposed an alleged Italian-Spanish oil cartel. The criminal practise of that international mafia was very simple. Keeping prices low, circumventing product quality and eluding competition rules. Plus oil mixing. This made them possible to obtain the “Made in Italy” brand, regardless of how much Italian Olive Oil actually their final product ever comprised of."

Regarding "Made in Italy" brand. I was referring to a merchandise mark "made in Italy", but whether I can use a word "brand" as a synonym for "merchandise mark", I am not sure.

Last edited:

dearsei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Perhaps the opening should be "This made it possible for them to obtain ...". I don't think "brand" is the right word for "Made in Italy". According to Wikipedia, it is a "merchandising mark".

Thank you for your response. Probably the opening that you have proposed might be indeed the right one.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It should be "made IT possible." The final products are the bottles of olive oil.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Well, I am trying to write a blog post in English about olive oil adulteration. The paragraph looks like this:

"A few years ago, the anti-fraud [STRIKE]intelligence[/STRIKE] unit of the Italian Customs Agency exposed an alleged Italian-Spanish oil cartel. The criminal practise of that international mafia was very simple: keeping prices low, circumventing product quality, and avoiding competition rules. Plus oil mixing. This made it possible for them to obtain the “Made in Italy” designation, regardless of how much Italian olive oil [STRIKE]actually[/STRIKE] their final product was actually comprised of."

Regarding "Made in Italy" designation, I was referring to a merchandise mark "Made in Italy", but whether I can use the word "brand" as a synonym for "merchandise mark", I am not sure.
A brand is a single company. A designation applies to an entire industry.

dearsei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
A brand is a single company. A designation applies to an entire industry.

I will have one more question.

Is this sentence correct: "In fact, their "Italian olive oil" comprises only 16% of actual Italian olive oil."

Thank you.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] have one more question.

Is this sentence correct?: [STRIKE]"[/STRIKE]In fact, their "Italian" olive oil[STRIKE]"[/STRIKE] is comprised of only 16% of actual Italian olive oil.[STRIKE]"[/STRIKE]

Thank you.
You're welcome!

Only the word "Italian is false, so just put quotation marks around "Italian."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] have one more question.

Is this sentence correct?: [STRIKE]"[/STRIKE]In fact, their "Italian" olive oil[STRIKE]"[/STRIKE] is [STRIKE]comprises[/STRIKE] only 16% [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] actual Italian olive oil.[STRIKE]"[/STRIKE]

Thank you.
Only the word "Italian" is false, so just put quotation marks around "Italian."

You can also say, "is comprised of only," but it's a bit wordy.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

dearsei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you all for your help. All of the responses from you made instructive reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.