Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

A friend of my mum introduced her a losing weight product, claiming that it can absorb grease. I didn't know she had taken it every day until she got her regular check-up report. One of the figure of the item related to fat was lower than before a lot, so she suspected that the product might work. I'm not in favour of consuming that kind of products even though it claims its ingredients doesn't involve medicine.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A friend of my mum One of my mum's friends introduced told her about a losing weight weight loss product, claiming that it can absorb grease fat. I didn't know she had taken been taking it every day until she got her regular medical check-up report.

One of the figure of the item related to The figure relating to [body] fat was a lot/much lower than before, a lot, so she suspected that the product might work.

I'm not in favour of consuming that those kinds of products even though it the manufacturers claims claim its that the ingredients doesn't don't involve medicine.
See above. Note that "weight loss product" is a set term in this context.
What do you mean by "medicine" in the final sentence?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
What do you mean by "medicine" in the final sentence?
Some weight loss products contain medicine to help people lose weight. That product doesn’t have that kind of medicine.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Medicine" is too wide a term. It covers anything that prevents or treats any sort of ailment, illness or disease. What sort of medicine are you talking about (give us an example)?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
"Medicine" is too wide a term. It covers anything that prevents or treats any sort of ailment, illness or disease. What sort of medicine are you talking about (give us an example)?
For example, Sibutramine or any other similar kinds.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You could say "the ingredients are all from natural sources".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You could say "The ingredients are all from natural sources".
That doesn't mean they're not medicine. I think Maybo is trying to differentiate between pharmaceuticals and other types of medicine.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
That doesn't mean they're not medicine. I think Maybo is trying to differentiate between pharmaceuticals and other types of medicine.
Is 'pharmaceuticals' a more general term of medicine?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is 'pharmaceuticals' a more general term of medicine?
I'm talking about "medicine" in the definition I gave you earlier. Many things can be used for the treatment or prevention of illness.

If I have a headache, I might take a couple of paracetamol. That's a drug, made by a pharmaceutical company. It's still a medicine.
If I have a cold, I heat lemon juice, turmeric, ginger and garlic in a pan and drink it over the course of a day or two. It's not a pharmaceutical. It's a home-made medicine for a cold.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have some ibuprofen.