Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, people. I want to say that taxation on sugary products can encourage people to choose healthier food. I don't want to use 'encourage' because I've already used it. Does 'promote' work?

Taxation on sugary drinks promotes healthier eating choices.

Hi, people! I want to say that taxation on sugary products can encourage people to choose healthier food. I don't want to use 'encourage' because I've already used it. Does 'promote' work?

Try:

Taxation of sugary drinks will discourage their use.

Try:

Taxation of sugary drinks will discourage their use.
Thanks. But this is not what I want to say. Later on, I gave an example in which people choose fresh fruits over sugar-packed smoothie. You see, people are making a choice. How can I express this idea without using 'encourage'?

Taxation on sugary drinks influences people to make healthier eating choices.

When you tax something you discourage it. In any case, you failed to make the connection between drinking less soda and making better dietary choices.

Taxation discourages the consumption of sugary drink, thus making people opt for cheaper and healthier alternatives.

Taxation discourages the consumption of sugary drinks, thus making people opt for cheaper and healthier alternatives.

That's the theory. Whether it works it that way in practice is not certain.

Not drinking sweet soda drinks does not necessarily make people eat more fresh vegetables- there are plenty of other unhealthy alternatives out there. Switching coke for sausage rolls is not the same as switching coke for broccoli.

Also, I can see substituting juice or water or maybe tea for soda (a drink for a drink), but it doesn't make as much sense to me so substitute a food for a drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back